Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Regarding the T34-A; an (unmodified) OS-throat is probably not the best interface for the concave surround. It's basically a cavity that's extended axially by the OS-profile and likely the cause of sub-optimal performance in the treble range.
This doesn't follow from the data.

Convex surround:

attachment.php

Concave surround:

attachment.php

It's just that the OS profile doesn't fit to the source shape and velocity.

Attachments

• convex.png
    convex.png
    137.4 KB · Views: 363
  • t34-convex-surround.png
    t34-convex-surround.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 862
  • concave.png
    concave.png
    136.4 KB · Views: 357
  • t34-concave-surround.png
    t34-concave-surround.png
    19 KB · Views: 600
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Could you also plzze plzze try to sim the Peerless 830970?

Platon Measurements
I can model anything defined by a source definition script. If you (or anyone else) provide this I can try it. The problem is that the real diaphragm may not be moving as a rigid body - then the simulation won't be correct. With the tweeters above, this simple assumption (used throughout ABEC) is fulfilled to a large degree, at least in the audio band. I'd be not so sure with a bigger driver.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Now it starts making more sense - this is still a conical throat, only narrower than before (this is ~60 deg, the previous was ~100). So it is not the OS profile per se but a non-matching profile in general.

Attachments

• narrow_cone.png
    narrow_cone.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 101
  • narrow_cone_raw.png
    narrow_cone_raw.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 96
  • narrow_cone_imp.png
    narrow_cone_imp.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
This doesn't follow from the data.

Convex surround: ...

Concave surround: ...

It's just that the OS profile doesn't fit to the source shape and velocity.

Yes, either convex or concave - depending on the size and shape of the surround, an OS throat is not ideal for the wavefront emitted from the "average dome tweeter". However, this doesn't imply that an OS throat cannot work with all dome tweeters.

Marcel, have you tried reducing the throat radius so it covers part of the surround? I tried this years ago for an old speaker project and saw some improvement. The tweeter I used had a convex surround, so I did something like this (apologies for the crappy drawing):

attachment.php

Attachments

• g2856.png
    g2856.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 910