Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Back in July, I posted a graph showing measured data vs simulated infinite baffle data. Today I did another simulation with the cabinet modeled as a cylinder (so I could use the CircSym mode) with the same depth as the real cabinet:

attachment.php

attachment.php

The grey curves are simulated, 0° to 80° in 10° intervals while the colorful curves are the real measurements at the same angles.

Attachments

• wg.png
    wg.png
    115.8 KB · Views: 925
  • simulated_vs_measured.png
    simulated_vs_measured.png
    158.1 KB · Views: 928
Part 2.

There are quite a few hyperlinks included in the original articles, but I forgot to create the .pdf files with Acrobat, so you may want to check Linked in.

Attachments

• Directivity Control Part 2_ A DIY Unidirectional Loudspeaker System _ Steve Mowry (Compressed).pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
Last edited:
bmc0, the throat isn't true OS, is it?

From the throat entrance to 40% of the total depth, the profile is pure OS. The remaining 60% is a section of a clothoid (Euler spiral). Curvature is matched at the junction.

Thanks for the articles. The next time I do a big speaker project (which is not going to happen for a while), I think I might try to do a cardioid or supercardioid midbass section.

Here's the thread of the project shown above.

My intuitive caveat with such cardioid systems concerns the number of drivers required for the concept to work properly and the loss of sensitivity.
It seems more effective and easier to tackle the backwave by integrating the complete system into the room. This is difficult to realize in the room above (attached pic.), due to the cavity in the front wall.

A quote:
"Proper flush mounting means no front wall reflection… and that means no speaker boundary interference from your front wall!

Your speakers and wall sing in harmony. Also, flush mounting increases acoustical loading which helps drive your monitors, making them more efficient at low frequencies. It really is that awesome."

Going one step further means turning the room into a horn (system).

Last edited:
I would like to make a In wall mounted corner horn for a 1.5 inch exit JBL 2545 SL compression driver.... (1.5 inch exit, 0 deg exit angle)

Bass driver is a 18 inch JBL 2242h.

max width space available for horn 700mm.

LrkpLXZ.png

I have a suite of 3D printers, and CNC router....

has anyone made a 90 deg constant directivity 60 to 90 deg horn for this application? (I assume a 60 degree would be better as the horn is in the wall?)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I think this can be tricky to get right. My concern would be the mismatch of the side wall angle:

attachment.php

What I can imagine as a remedy would be this but I have no idea what other consequences it could have:

attachment.php

Of course the top and the bottom mouth edge would have to be rounded as much as feasible, but I'm afraid it's not possible to generate a waveguide like this with Ath at the moment, at least not directly. Or is it? Honestly I'm not sure.

Attachments

• corner.png
    corner.png
    99.2 KB · Views: 500
  • corner2.png
    corner2.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'm also interested in integrating waveguides into room corners but as a wall mounted unit rather than a sofit mount. Kind of a modern Klipsch horn. If you consider a horn with a mouth flare though where the horn meets the wall will be made worse by the mouth flare. Has anyone any ideas of horns that could blend into the corner better to avoid an abrupt discontinuity?

Nope, I've got corner speakers on the works as well and haven't had any ideas how to blend them with the wall and avoid diffractions. Most of the horn and the driver should be outside of the corner (inside the room wall). to blend seamlesly. Other option is take the horn a bit into the room and have narrow enough polars so the walls are not a problem.

I made a prorotype bass box where the driver is "backside", as close to the corner as possible. A mid/high box/horn will go on top. Not sure how it all sounds or measures or integrates, gonna experiment with that next year and try to work out a working corner speaker:) Check out pi speakers corner horn inspiration. I think better freestanding waveguides with ath4 software plus a bass box is the way to go for a corner speaker.

ps. mabat, or anyone else: do you have an idea or example how to approximate conical horn made out of plywood with ath4 script? I mean four straight sides as in the 3d models above? Simulating a kerf bent mouth section is the goal! :) Could be easily made at home and maybe as a multiple entry horn. Happy holidays everyone!

Last edited: