Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
BTW, the ST260 with no rollback -

Attachments

• ST_260-no-rollback.PNG
    ST_260-no-rollback.PNG
    445.5 KB · Views: 353
Oh the woofer driver in the simulation has greater diameter than the waveguide and starts to beam. I think the woofer(system) should be about same size as the waveguide. Basically what fluid showed few posts back, woofers are at the very rim of the waveguide. Either that or the multiple entry horn seem to be two best options.

And if you think about it, combine the two options to one idea, a woofer somewhere along the waveguide profile. A freedom to choose what kind of diffraction one prefers :D Diffraction seems unavoidable on fullrange loudspeaker, certainly can try to minimize it.

Last edited:
It would be extremely interesting to see someone make an MEH with such a low-diffraction waveguide. Were it within my skills, or if I already had a printer set up, I'd try for certain, even if I didn't plan to build it into a speaker.

Ken

Working on it.

Attachments

• 0812211446.jpg
    0812211446.jpg
    961.2 KB · Views: 355
  • 0812211445.jpg
    0812211445.jpg
    900 KB · Views: 347
  • MEH offset front.JPG
    MEH offset front.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 330
  • MEH offset.JPG
    MEH offset.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 178
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Oh the woofer driver in the simulation has greater diameter than the waveguide and starts to beam. I think the woofer(system) should be about same size as the waveguide. ...
To me it doesn't seem to be a bad thing if the woofer beams more around and especially below the crossover frequency. This way a higher DI can be extended to a lower frequency than if both would match exactly. There's never a sharp discontinuity in the resulting radiation pattern but kind of a blend of the two. But I haven't done any simulations including a crossover yet.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
WG integration.. I couldn't help fiddling some more on my potential project... I was able to reduce the c/c by > 10 cm byt letting the WG lower part become an integral part of the upper woofer. I figured the rim, surrond and the beginning of cone re-form part of the rollback of the WG. My 3D job has somewhat lacking but I think you get the gist of it... it's been seen before and I think I could lower it yet a few centimeter...

//

Attachments

• aa.png
    aa.png
    626.8 KB · Views: 295
  • bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 294
  • cc.png
    cc.png
    284.8 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
TNT, Kimmosto demonstrated earlier this year that smoother power response can be achieved with cc ~1.4 wl, and worst case is about .5-.7 if i remember, this removes need to push the waveguide over the woofer unless you can drop down the xo enough to achieve near 1/4 wl c-c with the ath waveguide. Less diffraction problems at least.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
TNT, Kimmosto demonstrated earlier this year that smoother power response can be achieved with cc ~1.4 wl, and worst case is about .5-.7 if i remember, this removes need to push the waveguide over the woofer unless you can drop down the xo enough to achieve near 1/4 wl c-c with the ath waveguide. Less diffraction problems at least.

Thanks - good to know that I could skip that actually....

//