Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

in a single dimension it's starting to resemble the folding done to a line array waveguide.
fe1072f3d4334cffed2bd3727cfccc8c.jpg

I don't have the time for that :)

- This is a comparison between an original throat and the vanes calculated based on the same throat. What still puzzles me is that the leading wavefronts in both cases are pretty far from following the elliptical coordinate lines (the vanes end all at u=1.5) but I'm sure there's an explanation for that as well.
Try to place a shorter sound source, just between focal points of the ellipse.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I think this is actually an applet issue, where the leading wavefront is just not correct - see the wavefront of the subsequent zero pressure (the black contour), which seems to follow the coordinates much better and I suppose this should be the case for the leading wave as well... It starts to get somewhat complicated (maybe not) :eek:

(As for your suggestion - the source is always shorter than the focal points distance.)

Attachments

• wavefront.PNG
    wavefront.PNG
    20 KB · Views: 472
  • wavefront2.PNG
    wavefront2.PNG
    27.3 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If there was a suitable direct-radiating driver, it would be straightforward to make it a compression device with a phase plug made this way, directly in the form of the vanes, separated at the source. Flat disc diaphragm, if strong enough, would be ideal but I guess a regular dome (or any other shape for that matter) would work as well, it only adds the complexity of the compression chamber modes. One could also take a naked compression driver... Or just use a flat disc directly, without compression.

BTW, it seems that the algorithm for the optimized meandering vanes calculation can be automated almost completely, giving the right wavefront at the entrance of the rest of the waveguide. The OS coordinates make a convenient starting point for this.

Last edited:
CDX1-1745 on ST260/B

Measured with Omnimic at 1m driven by DATS V2.

Attachments

• Waterfall.png
    Waterfall.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 178
  • Distortion.png
    Distortion.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 0 degrees polar 1_12th smoothing.jpg
    0 degrees polar 1_12th smoothing.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 201
  • 0 degrees 1_12th smoothing.png
    0 degrees 1_12th smoothing.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 205
  • Normalised 0 degrees polar.jpg
    Normalised 0 degrees polar.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 363
  • Normalised to 0 degrees.png
    Normalised to 0 degrees.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 355
  • Polar no smoothing.jpg
    Polar no smoothing.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 364
  • No smoothing.png
    No smoothing.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 382
  • ST260Babcd.jpg
    ST260Babcd.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 253
  • ST260Babc.jpg
    ST260Babc.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 266
If there was a suitable direct-radiating driver, it would be straightforward to make it a compression device with a phase plug made this way, directly in the form of the vanes, separated at the source. Flat disc diaphragm, if strong enough, would be ideal but I guess a regular dome (or any other shape for that matter) would work as well, it only adds the complexity of the compression chamber modes. One could also take a naked compression driver... Or just use a flat disc directly, without compression.

BTW, it seems that the algorithm for the optimized meandering vanes calculation can be automated almost completely, giving the right wavefront at the entrance of the rest of the waveguide. The OS coordinates make a convenient starting point for this.
Ring radiator tweeters may be the closest off-the-shelf compromise?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've not glued the two halves together, its just a gap. One half didn't print perfectly, the other did. The CD bolts are all that held it together.
All I can add is that these waveguides are so good that even as bad prints and in conditions they were not intended to work in, they are still usable :)

I wonder how close to the free standing version you will get after you place them in a baffle: Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4) (#7506, the free standing version measured by Zvu et al.)