Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Oh yes :)

- The above was all miero's work. My own measurements of the same WG with three different drivers are below, not normalized this time (if normalized, it would all look like the miero's graph - that's the waveguide directivity alone, that doesn't change with different drivers).

Attachments

• sandhorn-q&d-fr.png
    sandhorn-q&d-fr.png
    45 KB · Views: 289
  • Sandhorn+DE250TN.png
    Sandhorn+DE250TN.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 287
  • sandhorn+CDX1425.png
    sandhorn+CDX1425.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What kind of distortion do you mean? If it creates a lot of diffraction that causes the frequency response to depend on angle, then it's uncorrectable as a whole and as such may present audible problems. But if it only creates a reflection back to the throat without much effect on the polar response (normalized), I wouldn't consider it as harmul per se - at least it can be corrected, the same was as any other resonance within the driver itself, which is done all the time in crossover filters without any issues. Well, that's my understanding.

Last edited:
Moreover, if it made 2" drivers a little bit more usable for hi-fi, that would be great as well. That would mean a point source from maybe 400 Hz up without beaming.

- Does anyone have already a lumped element model of the Axi2050?

The kind people at Celestion provided this information for the lumped model

Sd = 78.82cm2
Bl = 11.52Tm
Cms = 7.51e-5
Rms = 0.5
Mmd = 1.17g
Le = 0.05mH
Re = 5.6 ohms
Vtc = 38.0cm3
Atc = 78.82cm2

Thank you! What is Vtc and Atc?

- A little sanity check below, a simple conical case, as I mentioned before (1.4" throat). All as expected.

from the hornresp help file:

Vtc Throat chamber volume (cc).
Atc Throat chamber average cross-sectional area normal to axis (sq cm).

I think it should refer to the volume infront of the driver (a.k.a the phase plug)

I have a 3D printer and a Pair of JBL 2452SL drivers.
I cannot find an ideal horn to fit in my wall.
The mouth would be surface mount
Driver exit angle is 0degrees
1.5 inch exit
Max width of horn 21 inch. It would sort of be a corner horn, so I can provide pics of the room design if it effect the product.
Target is CD and 17khz to 600/650hz crossover.
90 degrees pattern radiation.
Conical or square doesn't matter, but it cannot be significantly wider in one axis than the other
Height of horn mouth no limit (over 2m)

To reduce printing, any flat sections (if square horn obviously) can be cut from MDF and glued to 3D print.

Is there a horn I can print that fits the requirements?

I'm handy with CAD (inventor) so can draw things up if needed.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can't help with the flat panels (still on the TO-DO list) but I think you could still print it as the "base+petals" construction, which is not that resource intensive. Any shape can be divided into these parts easily, especially if you are handy with CAD.

Attachments

• CE360-parts.PNG
    CE360-parts.PNG
    200.8 KB · Views: 346
  • ST260-kit-test.jpg
    ST260-kit-test.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 314
  • 20210813_164756.jpg
    20210813_164756.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 129
  • 162120.jpg
    162120.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Back to the throat plug resonance mystery - I think it may be the extra volume of air within the channels that's actually added. By prolongating the outer channles, there is an extra volume/mass/compliance that's not there otherwise. The throat and the exit of the "plug" both stay the same but the interior is "inflated"...

So in fact, the total cross section area increases and then shrinks again. Hence the resonance (which may be a good thing after all, as it increases the efficiency where we need it the most).

Last edited: