Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

I don't think this is a good idea for home audio but am keen on work and discussion in this area. I have a design for a dual 2" driver adapter I am working on: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...per-scripts-and-m200-fun.385493/#post-7167590 . I have had a hard time making the geometry where the rounded corners transition to square (the simulation linked avoids this by not fully transitioning) but am almost done on another attempt to fix it. I'm not sure yet if my adapter will work at all well!
Why make them square?
I'm exactly thinking of home audio.
It would be much cheaper to get two 1" drivers and cross them way lower than a single one instead of buying a corresponding 2"

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Why make them square?
I'm exactly thinking of home audio.
It would be much cheaper to get two 1" drivers and cross them way lower than a single one instead of buying a corresponding 2"
the practicalities of constructing a large horn means I need to go to flat boards after the initial throat.

I'm not sure this works out, a lot of 1" throat drivers crossover is limited by a rapid rise in harmonic distortion even at low levels below a certain frequency. Also say if we have a 1" driver with a 1.75" diaphragm and a 2" driver with a 3" diaphragm 2*1.75^2 = 6.125, 1*3^2 = 9 so the 2" throat driver still has much more volume displacement without hitting the phase plug assuming that both drivers are constrained by the dome hitting the phase plug. IMO the better approach for better LF output at low cost is to add bandpass mids as per a synergy horn. If you look at this post: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...per-scripts-and-m200-fun.385493/#post-7009215 you can even see that midrange compresion drivers can be used for this.

It's the lightning infill mabat!
I'm gonna give this a simulaton try tomorrow :D
Reminds me of the huge western electric horns.

Attachments

• dual horn.PNG
    dual horn.PNG
    22.6 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: 1 user
my overnight ATH run of an simple round waveguide in an enclosure with LFsrc above and below reached only 59%. The task is using 90+ % of my 16GB of dram and all 12 of my CPU cores. Its likely thrashing its buns off. Is there any chance it will complete?
Oh, just checked and the machine as 32 GB of dram. I'll let it keep going.

Last edited: