Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

That's a different situation to when there is a (small) room and the reflections are spectrally corrupt.
I think that various kinds of non-constant, but monotonic DI can create timbral coloring, some more obvious/unpleasant than another, but they are not very detrimental to stereo illusion. As a personal anecdote, speaker with a DI rising in a straight line from 0 dB at 100 Hz to 14 dB at 17 kHz sounds surprisingly natural in a regular furnished room, though a bit lacking in highs (well, LeCleach is going to be worse).

Non-monotonous changes, on the other hand, seem to hurt naturalness way more. E.g., Dynaudio Contour s3.4, with its strong diffraction, large vertical off-axis nulls and roller coaster DI, eats spatial clues, so voices are moved back and indistinctive. In contrast with that 14 dB DI speaker, which sounds somewhat distant, but believable, Dyns are dystinctly unnatural. The owner enjoys their "laidback presentation", though.

In the end I agree with you: most natural soundscape, both timbrally and spatially, was created by a full-range 3-way cardioid sytem with a nearly constant, gently rising directivity.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it correlates quite nicely Griesingers work which basically explains it while close enough brain can separate direct sound from background and all desirable stereo effects seem to happen, sound is engaging, space comes from the recording and so on. When too far, there is just one sound, the room sound which seems to come from speakers.
I think this is a matter of Direct Sound to Indirect Sound..... It could be the Radiation mass, which theoretically would be a 3d area extending from the driver in different ways depending directivity.
1689252332438.png

I think beaming would also relate to this; When listening too far/outside sweetspot then the room sound is dark. When close enough and in sweet spot it doesn't matter too much. With low DI system it is aso possible to listen close enough, but also the too far or outside sweetspot sounds more balanced. I think mabat probably listens far/all around the room and prefers non beaming, while horneydude/others like to be at sweetspot and don't mind sound elsewhere in the room and its fine for them.
Interesting, as long as in the sweet spot, High DI should extend direct energy portion of the direct sound to room sound ratio. I have the narrow polar at the top and a big wide waveguide, as well wide enclosure some 32"-36" wide. I haven't had the system together in prep for staining, and I move slow, so its been a while, but, I most recall a sharp transition for bass... I spoke about it in my thread. I designed my system hoping to extend this transition outward from the speaker, If possible. I have no idea if it is the nearfield transition or entering radius of the fricken Direct energy radiation mass that I tried to discuss but wasn't able to get any concrete information on...
By the way the transition seems to happen about at same distance in my room with small bookshelf speakers that I have. klein hummel o110 if I remember model number correctly. I don't know what DI would extend the listening distance.

Overall I think this is not very well known stuff.
If they don't know, I can't trust them ;) They don't love it like I love it.

Last edited:
The distance from a loudspeaker diaphragm at which the radiated sound velocity matches the surface velocity of the diaphragm itself depends on the frequency. This "critical distance" can be estimated using the following formula:

Dc = Sd / (2πf)

Where:

Dc = Critical distance (meters) Sd = Effective radiating surface area of diaphragm (m2) f = Frequency (Hz)

At this critical distance Dc, the particle velocity of the radiated sound wave will approximately match the surface velocity of the vibrating diaphragm.

Some key points:

• The critical distance increases with lower frequency and larger diaphragm size
  • Within Dc, the near-field sound dominates and particle velocity > sound pressure
  • Beyond Dc, the far-field sound dominates and particle velocity < sound pressure
  • For typical audible frequencies (20 Hz - 20 kHz) and diaphragm sizes (e.g. 10 cm diameter), Dc ranges from a few millimeters to a few centimeters
So in the near field within Dc, the radiated sound velocity directly reflects the diaphragm motion. But at further distances in the far field, the sound pressure amplitude gives a better indication of the diaphragm vibration magnitude. This transition from near to far field is frequency and geometry dependent.
Is this correct? I asked why spl is not apart of the formula it says
You're right, the standard formula for calculating the critical distance Dc does not directly include the sound pressure level (SPL). This is because the critical distance depends only on the geometry of the source (size and shape) and the frequency, but not the amplitude of vibration.

in a waveguide, I think this relation changes, due to coupling of the airmass, when I ask "how does a waveguide affect Dc"
A waveguide can significantly affect the critical distance Dc for a loudspeaker driver. Here is how:

• A waveguide attaches to the diaphragm and acoustically couples it to the air. This allows better control over the sound radiation pattern.
  • The waveguide essentially increases the effective radiating area of the driver diaphragm. This larger area means a longer wavelength and near field region.
  • So for a given frequency, Dc increases when using a waveguide compared to just the bare driver diaphragm.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
No ones ever seen constant directivity anyway... even whats shown below needs to be extended to 20hz... We end up with portions of the spectrum being constant directivity, in real life. 700hz-7k is a good portion to have covered, but 200-20khz is likely much more effective.

You could say my own form of elitism is chasing after clarity instead of wide sweet spots or high room energy
View attachment 1192340
This could be close.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...audio-midrange-horn-polar-measurements.42732/

Yes, but should we really have more space at midrange than at HF?
Even in nature, the high frequencies fall off more quickly ;).

A slowly rising DI would mimic nature, a flat DI would have to have a bend somewhere, because low frequencies are omni.
I don't think so. I haven't listened to a stereo pair in an anechoic chamber, but outside or in a very large space away from boundaries two speakers still project a coherent soundstage.
Technically, Constant Directivity is a correct aspect I think. Its just not the only aspect. Smooth transitions are desirable if not constant.... Maybe second place to constant directivity is Constantly Rising DI, which denotes, no abrupt changes.
No, I don't think this has anything to do with it. If it does, it's way beyond me. BTW, what's "defocusing the radiation"?

"At this critical distance Dc, the particle velocity of the radiated sound wave will approximately match the surface velocity of the vibrating diaphragm."
- So what? :)
I am getting deep, I don't want to cloud your thread. It is interesting the transition that @tmuikku speaks of, I have had a similar experience though only that I noticed in a lower part of the spectrum. I think it has to do with direct vs indirect sound levels. The interesting part is that the transition is a sharp one, not a gradual one, this caught my attention in his comments as I remember it was like someone turned a switch and all of a sudden, it would seem that direct enough took completely over.

There is another transition of the room gaining dominance as I move backwards and the opposite as moving closer but there was another distinct transition that was significant, much closer. I only experienced it and experimented with this aspect with my lower woofers, and at a close distance, somewhere around 1m or slightly less...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@tmuikku comment... @mabat You are an experienced simulator, I don't know if you've studied these aspects, but I think you have the ability to simulate them?

"Waveguide dispersion can reduce Dc slightly by defocusing the radiation."
Yeah the speaker nearfield/farfield stuff is different thing I think, easily confused. I do not know what the right terms are, but don't confuse speaker nearfield to the room "close enough" I wrote about.

Ideally, I think, one should be in between: far enough to be farfield of the speaker but close enough so that direct/reflected sound ratio in room is high enough. I think it could be possible to have too big of a speaker to a room so one never gets into the goldilock zone :) or bad room with ~omni speaker. Key would be to have enough directivity and acoustic treatment so that the favored and practical listening distance happens.

Interesting, as long as in the sweet spot, High DI should extend direct energy portion of the direct sound to room sound ratio. I have the narrow polar at the top and a big wide waveguide, as well wide enclosure some 32"-36" wide. I haven't had the system together in prep for staining, and I move slow, so its been a while, but, I most recall a sharp transition for bass... I spoke about it in my thread. I designed my system hoping to extend this transition outward from the speaker, If possible. I have no idea if it is the nearfield transition or entering radius of the fricken Direct energy radiation mass that I tried to discuss but wasn't able to get any concrete information on

It is peculiar phenomenon, brain locks in, or not. I'm not sure if there is additional benefits increasing direct sound any further as long as brain can lock in. Of course I've got so little experience on this I cannot say other than what my experience is and speculate with it, what I'm observing here on my place with my system.

Do you have any other speakers than the big ones? some small studio monitors? I suggest to try and find the transition in your room with some speakers, could be very close like few feet, or quite far depending on size and acoustics. Here is how to find it easily: put on some spoken word or white noise, same signal to both speakers for strong phantom center. You should not hear either speaker, they should seem to be silent and all sound in between, a strong phantom center.

Listen the phantom image getting sharp when you are close and bit blurry when you are far. Try to identify both sounds first, you should have very clear phantom center when close enough. Listening back of the room or in another room and you should hear the blurry sound. Now move back and forth on stereo triangle center normal, try to hear the transition between this clarity and blurryness. According to Griesinger this should be on/off transition with quite short distance, like one step, and property for everyone hearing system so you should be able to hear it. I'm assuming the room and speaker system allows it to happen, which I do not know if always happens. Play with distance between speakers and toe in if necessary.

Besides this phantom center clarity/blur I perceive 2D/3D kind of effect with the transition. Sound is in front of me when beyond the transition, there is no envelopment/ spaciousness what ya call it. Stepping over the transition to the close enough zone something switchess in the brain and its like stepping into the sound. Soubd is not only in front of me but more embracing, space of the recording.

The effect is more subtle than my words let believe, but its still clear enough to spot it repeatedly once I heard it first time.

If you do find it then I think you can be sure you are always in close enough proximity and be able to concentrate listening effort on other aspects of the sound. You might find out there is no need to go any further. You might learn that you can move speaers further away in order to get into their farfield, or what ever you now can hear and affect.

edit. here is thread on another forum discussing about the thing: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...p-in-klippel-linkwitz-toole-and-geddes.29426/

Here is one Griesinger paper on it, but basically the same/similar stuff is on multiple papers. https://www.akutek.info/Papers/DG_Audibility_Direct_Sound.pdf

It is phenomenon that would explain a lot of things, like why there is followers of single fullrange driver systems, or horns, or beaming, audibility of group delay, almost anything can be explained. Good sound happens when one is close enough, and system has nice frequency response and all that, so that harmonics are coherent and brain can lock in easily. How far? depends on the system and the acoustics.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I don't think so. I haven't listened to a stereo pair in an anechoic chamber, but outside or in a very large space away from boundaries two speakers still project a coherent soundstage.

So, to clarify, compare these two variants? Flat on-axis, rising DI vs sloping down ON, near-constant DI?
View attachment 1192419 View attachment 1192420
Interesting experiment indeed.
The most coherent soundstage I've ever heard is from speakers played outside. Reflections/reverb were entirely contained in the recording. Room reflections are always an aberration of the source, though sometimes a pleasant one.

I'll bet the quality of the two variants - Flat on-axis, rising DI vs sloping down ON, near-constant DI - differs from room to room.

Small rooms benefit from higher directivity sources - this means almost all domestic listening spaces. A very small room is the space between the driver and ear in a set of headphones.

• Thank You
Reactions: 3 users
I thought when @docali was simulating for me, this was showing a similar trait, seems to be a function of directivity, 200 and 4khz, on this example. Seems the higher frequency which likely has higher directivity, causes the energy to protrude from the horn differently. The spl at the listening position isn't matched, but, definitely some learning here.
1689263851276.png

Here is one Griesinger paper on it,

In my humble opinion more people truly interested in the perception of sound should read Griesinger's papers (just scroll down on his home page).
As he explains how we can get or keep clarity but still enjoy qualities like spaciousness and envelopment.

Us DIY nuts that want more can get it by making sure the room + speakers work together.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Nothing can explain that, believe me :)
I started my DIY journey with fullranges many years back and after a while it just sounded unbearable.
I had them too, and liked it, just couldn't play loud enough. About only audio related advantage with fullrange drivers is "coherency", and Griesinger says its on/off for perception, and I perceive it with multiway speaker, so there goes any advantage point source / fullrange systems have, in my simplified thinkin :)