Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
But the statement "the waveguides in Gedlee loudspeakers could be improved by employing a better mouth flare with a more gradual change of curvature." is not proven by the data. If the waveguide is allowed to get larger then yes, this would be true, but given the physical constraints that I stated, it is not clear that it is true.
And would you like it to be proven? :)

But I agree with you that it is not. Of course it is not.

Last edited:
If you want to prove it then yes, I'd like to see it, but otherwise I think we agree that you did not have data to support your statement.

Your polar plots shown before do look very good and I agree that the DI would be smooth in this case even with such a low crossover point, so on this claim I can now agree - for that specific case. But many horns/waveguide do exhibit a non-smooth fall in DI with frequency, this is common knowledge. That we can now have waveguides that don't do this is great. Congratulations. It opens up some previously untenable designs.

Looks like I just scored a pair of BA-750 drivers, except it's the version with 1.4" exit.
At least 6 different diaphragm kits are available for this driver.

For the price of a single dome tweeter, there is not much to lose.

Attachments

• BA-750 1.4 Inch Version.jpg
    BA-750 1.4 Inch Version.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 427
  • 2.03in(51.6mm)_8.jpg
    2.03in(51.6mm)_8.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 2.03in(51.6mm)_5.jpg
    2.03in(51.6mm)_5.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 2.03in(51.6mm)_4.jpg
    2.03in(51.6mm)_4.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 2.03in(51.6mm)_3.jpg
    2.03in(51.6mm)_3.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 396
  • 2.03in(51.6mm)_2.jpg
    2.03in(51.6mm)_2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 399
  • 2.03in(51.6mm)_1.jpg
    2.03in(51.6mm)_1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 398
  • BA-750 1.4 Inch Version_2.jpg
    BA-750 1.4 Inch Version_2.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 395
Joined 2004
Paid Member
... Well, the further parts of the diaphragm will be out of phase with the center since the sound has further to travel. You'll get cancellation as wavelengths get shorter and more out of phase.
OK, I think I get it now. So this would be better I suppose...? (Just a quick sketch.)

Attachments

• sp-p.PNG
    sp-p.PNG
    31.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Ath 4.5.0 has been released

First - the script files ARE NOT BACKWARD COMPATIBLE.
Mabat,

The possibilities your scripts open up for designing horns for specific coverage patterns are incredible!

As the original thread starter, you may update your original post as you wish, including the new release there would be helpful, as this post will become hard to find fairly soon.

You might also highlight some of the details you have learned since the release.
In reviewing the thread, IIRC, #666 was the first to show measured results confirming the validity of the polar simulations, links to other posts that prove how well the simulations work would be useful.

Thanks for all the work!

Art

Joined 2004
Paid Member
As the original thread starter, you may update your original post as you wish, including the new release there would be helpful, as this post will become hard to find fairly soon.
I would like to but it seems I can't edit the first post anymore :confused:

Thanks.

Edit: Oh, now the "Edit" button appeared. I sware it was not there before.

Last edited: