Aleph Jzm

Progress report!!! :snail:
IMG_0462.jpeg

IMG_0457.jpeg
IMG_0455.jpeg
IMG_0464.jpeg
IMG_0463.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users
In my experience, since it was brought up a while ago. The 4U chassis from modushop is excellent. I got the iron covers, cheapest version so around $260-270 shipped to US. The thing is built like a tank. Looks super nice and its excellent to work with, so if anyone is considering it, I highly recommended it. Of course the new limited edition PASS DIY is even nicer and roomier. Could you make it for less? Probably. Depends on what your time is worth, and if you have the tools needed to complete it. YMMV

Reactions: 1 user
My kit is being shipped but have started building the PCB on the Thatcher board, Randy Thatcher said the 8 caps choice is down to how deep your wallet is, can anyone assist, have priced them on the BOM power supply range from 4.29 UK Pounds to £8.43 or have someone used alternative caps.
This will be my first mains powered AMP after building the ACA Mini.
Regards
Alan

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Key criteria for sorting/selecting
10mm Lead Spacing
2 Pin. Most will be "snap in"
up to 35mm diameter (you'll likely see 30 and 35mm options. Avoid 40mm, for example)
25V for 18V secondaries
35V or >18V secondaries
Check the "In stock" box.

Now you're going to pick capacitance value based on how much you want to spend.

What is the 22,000uF option price x 8 caps?
27,000uF price x 8?
33,000uF price x 8?
47,000uF price x 8?

Here's a Digikey search to try. This is for 25V options 22kuF and up. You can switch to 35V if you need to.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/aluminum-electrolytic-capacitors/58?s=N4IgjCBcoKwAwA4qgMZQGYEMA2BnApgDQgD2UA2iAExgAsAzEgLrEAOALlCAMrsBOASwB2AcxABfYlTi0AnMhBpIWPEVIUQANgRxdAAgCtAMRBTp+46eoB2XXEMni9enYdX6s15eK1bFxyAwml4mLCAcXACqQgLsAPLoALL4mLgArnz4ElJw1vLQihg4BMRkkJRUMHoAaiBhEZAg0bEJyakZWZIgALT5qFD8aWpllBBMXd1UCkqDwxowdeJdmgoCACZc3WBwEGycjVbsAJ6sWY2paEtAA

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Sorry... on mobile... harder for me to post more thoroughly...

Also, Alan D - Consider if you will use the PSU for any other projects... or if your mains runs a touch higher than typical (mine does)... and if you sometimes test your PSU unloaded for longer periods of time... and if you like to just have a little extra "room" ...

It's a super versatile board, and I move it around projects a little bit... My use case may not be typical. Also, unloaded, my rails are typically ~27VDC... my mains runs a touch high, and I tend to use 400VA transformers rated at 115VAC and low"ish" drop rectifiers ... so...

That's a long way to say... I typically use 35V caps for PSUs like this, if only because it makes me feel better and it's not typically "that much more". YMMV

Joined 2002
Paid Member
A few quick points in addition to what's been mentioned:

1) Sometimes 10 pieces is cheaper than 8 with quantity price breaks.
2) IIRC the original AJ had 8 x 15000uF while later J2 used 12 x 15000uF so the aforementioned configurations should all be adequate; you'll have to decide how much you want to spend to gild the lily.
3) Check both Digikey and Mouser for what's available and prices.