• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

All Cee's PSU for Class AB Amp

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Myles,
So sorry about the typo on the schematic. Let me get that corrected. Yes, 4x 6800uF caps should be fine as well. Since you got the wrong caps due to my error, let me make it up to you. Pick a board of approx equivalent value as 4x 10,000uF Nichicon caps from my shop and I will send it to you no charge.
Cheers,
X

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi X,

Thank you for understanding and generosity,

I am going to use the 50V x 6800 uF caps on the two All C's pcb's I have for the Xmas amp. All I need is 2 more All C's boards for the FH9HV. I will order some 30mm x 10,000uF caps for the FH9HV. I have all the other components for the FH9HV, so I will wait for the 2 All C's boards. Will be dual mono.

Regards,

Myles

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi X and other builders,

I have not purchased transformers yet, but I want to test my All C's with my variac and a couple of DMM's. I will have the variac plugged into an fused IEC female receptacle w/on-off rocker. Coming off the IEC will be +, -, and ground wire to the All C's pcb.

A few questions for a 1st timer:

1. Does the ground wire from IEC connect to PCB or, to off pcb ground ?.

2. What is maximum allowable current while slowly dialing up the voltage
from the variac, and , would the DMM be set for AC or DC current ?.

3. Where to attach probes to measure the current ?. Not sure
about this as I would have probes on the output to measure the DC voltage ?.

4. Assume I do not need a load attached, as X measured his without load ?.

Thank you for your help and patience,

Myles

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hi Myles,

Do you have any transformer with CT secondarily or dual secondaries??
If your just verifying the psu is working as it should, trafo voltage does not matter right now, especially if you can control the trafo voltage with a variac.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thanks Vunce,

This test will be for the Xmas amp with the 250VA 25V secondaries. Built dual mono, but I have not ordered yet. Just a verification test. I have no ammeter on the variac, hence the use of the DMM's

So.... can you help me out with any answers to the above 4 questions.

Myles

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I would not connect your variac directly to the psu board, it requires a CT secondary or dual secondaries wires in series.
That’s why I asked if you had a transformer on hand you could use temporarily to check if All Cee’s psu powers as it should. You don’t need to measure current, there is nothing connected to draw any.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
If you don’t have a variac, you can use a 10ohm 10W cement filled resistor in series between the All C’s PSU and the amp. One on each rail. It will prevent catastrophic meltdown in case something is off. However, this is a chip amp and should not have catastrophic failures like some discrete amps can exhibit at first turn on. Putting a DMM across the 10ohm “safety” resistor can tell you current flowing. Quiescent current on am amp like this shouldn’t be more than 100mA. So that’s less than 1V across the safety resistor. If you see more than that at startup, turn it off and investigate.

Like Vunce said, you need a transformer with dual secondaries wired as a center tap to test the All Cee’s PSU. Under no load the output voltage for 25VA trafos is about +/-35v.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thanks guys,

All cleared up on the variac. I thought it could be used as a replacement for a transformer. Since I will be building dual mono, I will order 2 of the 250VA transformers with dual 25V secondaries. I will also order up the amplifier BOM while waiting for the pcbs to arrive.

Thanks for the help,

MM

Hi,

While I used some .6W 22K LED resistors I had in my stash for the PSU board, I did run into the exact same problem with the the big 10,000uF caps. I thought it was my mistake so I ordered replacement part number 647-LLS1J103MELB from Mouser since I built the All Cees board for the FH9HVX & needed the 63v caps. Already used 2 of the 35mm caps in a different chipamp psu board I had stashed.
Glad to know I'm not yet going senile!

Hi X!

Do you know how got the rectifiers get on the All Cees boards? I ask because I have a couple of small heat sinks in the stash bin & was thinking of using the sinks rather than under hanging it and bolting it to the chassis floor.

Thanks! Just ordered 2 more all cees boards to power some of these projects.