Alpha Nirvana 39w 8ohm Class A Amp

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Top is 3.5 way.
Signal is actively split at 150Hz using simple active crossover.
Bottom are two 15" woofers as dipoles powered by two plate amps.
Top started as 3 way, but I quickly realized it has to be 3.5 way for more coherency.
ClassA amps only on top.
Its dipole only up to 5kHz, those hivi planars are closed unlike the b&g I used in other speakers.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Nice sound room Adason, looks like lots of vinyl and a combo of older and newer equipment. Could I enquire what the name of your main open baffles are, and the ones on the sides with 4 drivers ?. Also, just for curiosity, do you have a movie screen and speakers behind you, as I noticed a projector pointed that way :).

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, there is my ht system on the other side of the room. I have way too much stuff.

Attachments

• 20220905_124244.jpg
    20220905_124244.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 20220905_124418.jpg
    20220905_124418.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 132
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Cool system(s)! Adason. I've read your active crossover thread and would like to build one of those some time.

Bit more progress with mine. Nearly all populated and PSU nearly ready to test. Going dual mono as I have the bits and also a 4 output trafo. Need to test it under load. It's 23v but runs a little 'hot' on my mains.

Got some 120mm Noctuas and both the Dell and HP sinks. More pad area on the Dell but the HP has a larger area of fins for the fan to act on. Dell has more meat though...heavier.

IMG20220905183431.jpg
IMG20220905184054.jpg

I bought 2 alpha nirvana PCBs and 2 BOM and extra parts for snubber boards from Mouser. When parts com I saw there is no few parts and some parts ar different. I know this is my fault because I don't read all this forum 😃 But how I understand I need to buy -
2.7v zener
10pf 500v silver mica
KSA992
FQA40N25
FQA36P15
8D-20 thermistor
It is right.??
Hello dear colleagues!
Right now I'm preparing to order all components from Mauser and would like to have all components in a single shipment.
Is it enough to:
1. add the above components into the existing Mauser Shopping Card from the OP,
2. double the quantities for both boards and
3. add these missing components for the snubber?
I have read caefully the entire thread, but I might have missed something.
Thanks in advance!

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Hello dear colleagues!
Right now I'm preparing to order all components from Mauser and would like to have all components in a single shipment.
Is it enough to:
1. add the above components into the existing Mauser Shopping Card from the OP,
2. double the quantities for both boards and
3. add these missing components for the snubber?
I have read caefully the entire thread, but I might have missed something.
Thanks in advance!
The additional components are the preferred ones used by XRK in certain positions. They are on the anotated (in red) schematic. You don't need them if you have the complete BOM in your basket as far as I am aware. And yes the snubbers for the offboard output devices are required. Hope this helps

Reactions: 1 user
My 4ohm build progresses. I've gone for a double A side Lotus backbone chassis 😊 don't think it will wind up as beautiful as an Elan but I will enjoy choosing some smart clothes. Dual Johnson Gtose cap Mxs and a bit more bias to 2.2A, another little lift. Just need to sort out the DC protection and I'll have to find something else to do. Maybe just listen to it?!

I'm really pleased with the sound quality, it's so unfatiguing, easy to listen to for long periods. That's not damning with faint praise, it's a rare thing in my experience. Thank you again all who so generously share at diyaudio.

20220917_155022.jpg 20220917_155113.jpg 20220917_155700.jpg

Reactions: 1 user