And what did we buy today?

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
6 gallons of distilled water.

This is getting hard to get. WalMart had ONE. More expected next week. Supermarket was down to their last dozen.

We need DW for a dog with bladder-stones. A sip of town water won't kill him, but I don't want to risk days of trace minerals. (He has multiple issues.) But DW is also valued for humidifiers, and for CPAP machines. Thinking of a $100 countertop distiller.

My wife uses a CPAP with water.
For years I have bought distilled water for it.
We were not able to buy distilled water for a bit and realized that we do not need it where I live.

I realize I am just lucky. I have family just 20 miles away that has water that would make deposits in no time.
We removed a six year old water heater from their house and you could just hear the deposits jingling as we rolled it.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
we do not need it where I live
I assume by the scale it leaves inside the CPAP machine? (Or is it lime-dust in the user's lungs?)

I would have no way to know until the pee was blocked by stones, which is a real emergency.

This is actually another town's water (ours is foul), bottled and delivered, but is reputed to be "tasty" which usually means trace minerals.

6 gallons of distilled water.

Perhaps consider ~$150 for an RO/DI system? I've purchased a couple over the years from airwaterice dot com and have been happy with the quality. I have large planted aquariums that need low TDS water so as to discourage excess algae growth. Our Austin water is hard and high pH. Bonus is using the water for drinking and in my espresso machine (with a little tap water in order to keep 0 TDS water from damaging the metal internals).

Waste water goes into a Brute trash can and is used for garden watering.

Last edited:
RO systems here waste up to 90 percent of the water, and due to some actresses getting involved in the publicity, have become popular.
Bear in mind that this water causes calcium depletion from bones, the newest wrinkle here is a remineralisation system, involving addition of a controlled amount of minerals to the demineralised water.

Every lady wants to be an a film leading actor!

Seriously, pump failures, cartridge choking and so on mean that this gets a little tedious. Use only if needed.
But the water is good enough to be used in car batteries, and from a chemical dealer here it was cheaper than single liter bottles, I used to buy 5 liters at a time.
Then I changed from dynamo to alternator, now the use is about 1 liter in 2 years.

I wonder if the condensate from HVAC systems and melted snow would be useful for people needing small quantities of pure water.

Need to dry a few months and some sanding. Will become a wild table one day. 260x90 cm ash.

Attachments

• F7A56A28-5424-45E7-8488-D18012196A3F.jpeg
    F7A56A28-5424-45E7-8488-D18012196A3F.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: 1 user

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
260x90 cm ash
I use a piece of Spruce half that size as the ramp into the chicken shed.

There was a guy on the highway sawing trees into slabs. Sold a few. Went broke. The guy who built this house caught the going out of business sale. Made one slab into a kitchen counter. That was so much work he never touched the others, left them in the chicken shed. After 2 owners, 40 years of being in-the-way, and also tripping on stepping stones, I tipped one slab out the door and screwed it to the sill. Really wasteful use of wood. We got wood to waste.
ShedRamp.jpg

Last edited: