And what did we buy today?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Karma is a wonderful thing, after letting one slip through my hands (figuratively speaking) over a decade and a half ago. I finally bought the first of Stan Curtis's TDA 1540x based CD players, to join it's CD2 and CD3 brothers. The Cambridge Audio CD1. Having "sat in a box in a loft for many years", (the generous ex owners words) a small act of friendship allowed the first mistake to be remedied. And how! There surly cannot be many out there in this condition, or that have been treated and looked after as well. After a few hours of acclimatization to the room and some cleaning of connectors, it's been playing now for a couple of hours. Having owned a number of the TDA machines this is indeed special, some of this may be due to the modifications of a previous owner, (a true audiophile) the upgraded internal clock and massive external PSU, but there is no mistaking the quality due the original designers inspired work. Better already than a relatives Marantz CD7 to my ears at least, still to be compared to the Micro Seiki M100. It will be interesting comparing it with the Tube Technology Fusion (Watts Dac 64 of Chord fame) though designed with ECC88 tube output stage. Certainly a tough act to follow.

Attachments

• CD1 front.jpg
    CD1 front.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 74

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Double Decker Outhouse
DoubleDeckerOutHouse.jpg

No chit! Open the bottom door, there's a bench with a toilet seat, decorated with a plastic plop. There's also a ladder to the upper floor. Which also has a potty-bench. And if you sit in the lower chamber you can see right up the hole in the upper chamber.

No, I did NOT buy either of these products. Not today. (Although at today's lumber prices, that chair may be a fine financial investment.)

Just bought a combination bathroom light, with exhaust and heater, along with a timer switch for the heater/fan part.

What I didn’t get to buy were some additional K71-4 capacitors from across the pond, luckily I still have a small reserve of those.
Still listed for sale on eBay however.

Rebuilt TH350 transmission for the rebuilt 305 ci Chevrolet engine. Going to install in the 1953 Chevy pickup. This is one of the few things around the house that's older than me.
A family member has one of those, is a blast with a 9,000 rpm small block, full tube chassis.

Need to go try and find a first car for my daughter…

Attachments

• D092D012-A135-46B7-A5FD-17EF75D26452.jpeg
    D092D012-A135-46B7-A5FD-17EF75D26452.jpeg
    483.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 7BBC6F50-F5E7-4CFF-813F-84F74ADAF9DE.jpeg
    7BBC6F50-F5E7-4CFF-813F-84F74ADAF9DE.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: 1 users

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
9” Dell Inspiron 910 Mini Windows XP - 1.6GHz Atom, 1GB RAM, 8GB SSD
Dell's first entry in the "netbook" fad.
About $400 in about 2010.
Now $24 with a cracked corner and an assumed-dead battery.

Dell-910-1600.jpg

Runs like a top and I'm seeing hints of life in the battery.
I run a Windows 3.0 program nightly. It will run in XP but not newer. My last XP netbook threw a fan bearing last week and the fan is the worst part to get out for cleaning/oiling. I was even looking to short-cut through a tin shield but my shears were not small enough to wedge in. Anyway all rotating storage dies. This 910 Mini is an early SSD. Low-clocked Atom. Dead-silent.