And what did we buy today?

8 GB, with XP taking up more than one.

If it is old, it might have the mini IDE connection, and that is difficult to find as the new ones are all SATA.
And they do fail, maybe less than HDD, but still, as a precaution, I would get another as a spare.
And the newer ones do have faster buffers and data transfer speeds.

I bought a blood pressure measurement system, Welch-Allyn H-BP100SBP. Spent an inordinate amount of time reading customer reviews; looks like every such machine can have a few bad ones across manufacturing lots. Inaccuracy sending people to hospital, with significant billing afterward due to an erroneous reading.

Hope I picked well. Checked out with the one at my Doc's office...

An offset umbrella.
Now, I know it doesn't rain a lot here in Vancouver but I thought what the heck, I might need it one of these days so I splurged. Never seen this before but what a great idea. I hope it starts raining here a bit more so I get to enjoy it.

Attachments

• DSCN8710.jpg
    DSCN8710.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: 1 user
Is that going to take up more room than the transformer?
Unequivocally, yes.
I’ve been collecting parts for the mono-blocks for a few years now. It is a parallel single-ended pentode design using EL34s and the thinking was about having a long-lasting power supply for an amplifier that uses very common tubes that could be safely assumed would be available for years to come. I guess we’ll see.

Last edited:
9” Dell Inspiron 910 Mini Windows XP - 1.6GHz Atom, 1GB RAM, 8GB SSD
Dell's first entry in the "netbook" fad.
About $400 in about 2010.
Now $24 with a cracked corner and an assumed-dead battery.

View attachment 1033687
Runs like a top and I'm seeing hints of life in the battery.
I run a Windows 3.0 program nightly. It will run in XP but not newer. My last XP netbook threw a fan bearing last week and the fan is the worst part to get out for cleaning/oiling. I was even looking to short-cut through a tin shield but my shears were not small enough to wedge in. Anyway all rotating storage dies. This 910 Mini is an early SSD. Low-clocked Atom. Dead-silent.
You have to watch Dell of that era (I used to pack and ship them)
Though, that isn't the reason.

The "smart" batteries were prone to failure. Some spectacularly. I have a similar age Inspiron, battery has been knackered since about 12 months after I bought it.

Easiest just to rely on PSU. Until that fails.

Today, it was a 60V 5A power supply, a 3 inch mattress topper, some pillow cases and some antistatic bags.
Because they didn't deliver it to my door, I got a refund. They delivered it to the lobby, but that's not my apartment... In this building, we have door to door mail delivery, and that extends to Amazon. You can't leave the package in the lobby and call it delivered :) Those of you in houses would agree you can't just leave the box on the nearest corner or in the neighbour's yard and call it delivered, either. Bezos has a yacht that's so big he has to pay for an antique bridge to be RE and RE'd... He can take the loss even if it's semantics.

I just bought a Cirrus Logic CS5366 ADC which turned out to have an unusually lax moisture ingress deadline:

168-years.jpg

:)

Its nice and safe on a breakout board now though, phew, just in time!
CS5366.JPG

Yes, the soldering is a mess, but those are 0603 ceramic caps dotted around, the breakout board is only 25mm across!
[ and it works - my first TDM device I think - probably the most expensive ADC I've bought too - the CS5368 was unobtanium alas ]

Last edited:
I just bought a Cirrus Logic CS5366 ADC which turned out to have an unusually lax moisture ingress deadline:
My Cirrus TDM codecs aren't so generous with the deadline.

The middle picture shows two boards. The board on the right in was soldered by hand with a soldering iron, one part at a time. The board on the left was soldered all at once on a hot plate. The hot plate "frying pan" method does a slightly cleaner job.

Attachments

• P4000080-x.jpg
    P4000080-x.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 76
  • P2580717_x.jpg
    P2580717_x.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 75
  • P2580720_x.jpg
    P2580720_x.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 74