And what did we buy today?

Yard Sale find JBL PB10.
Its in nice shape, but cleaned with furniture spay and added some damping material.
$20 bucks:

Yard Sale.png

Reactions: 1 user
I've been getting back into the home espresso thing. Bought a nice Breville machine, new burr set for an old Cunill Tranquilo grinder. Plus a whole laundry list of accessories of course. The latest was cappuccino cups. I specifically wanted a set of 4 (maybe 6), clear glass, no more than 8 ounces max.

Found a nice size & simple style, made by Libbey, just what I wanted. Except no place has them locally, and all the online vendors want to sell them in a case of 24 for about 50 bucks. Sigh...

So the other morning I walk into the nearest thrift store & found pretty much exactly what I was looking for: Simple, clear, cut glass cups, ~8 oz, new in box. 4 cups for 3 bucks. Guess that'll have to do, heh. ☕

Yard sale find, Michael Kelly "Arena" acoustic cutaway, $30. Actually left it at first, came back and it was still there!

Odd failure; the internal piezo pickup plugs into a preamp; a second 3.5 mm socket connects to the output jack. Inside the preamp the 3.5 mm jack split into its constituent pieces; I replaced it and got the preamp working again. That's inside the guitar, where the jack perhaps had a single insertion cycle, when the preamp part was installed. The battery door was missing, so I fab'd a replacement out of a piece of black plastic, using two of the screws that holds the preamp assy in place to secure.

I chick'd out initially because I noticed the neck was slightly bent backward, as if someone had tightened the truss rod too hard. The hex key was actually in the bag that came with it. I took off about 1/2 - 3/4 turn and it came back straight again. I put these steel flat tape-wounds on it that I happened to buy somewhere for a different sound than the 99.9% of these acoustic electrics using the bronze round-wounds.

These Chinese manufactury instruments are interesting these days, as they've refined the necessary quality to the peak of what can be done inexpensively. The guitar has to be easily playable everywhere on the fretboard, be acoustically loud and sound good, the machines have to be good, multi-featured preamp, good looking wood and finish - and cheap. If not, no one will buy it because the next guy has all that. You couldnt get a guitar close to this 50 years ago, without going name brand.

DSC03083.JPG

I’ve been gathering parts and supplies for the motorhome engine refresh project.
Is a shame what a pair of clogged catalytic converters, in series, can do to a 180 cubic inch engine that’s dragging a 6,000 pound box around for 90k miles. I may however be able to sell the catalytic converters to pay for the cost of parts so far however.

The plus side is that there are stainless steel headers, complete with the forward half of the system available nowadays for $150!
Add to that (6) new oem exhaust valves/springs, resurfaced heads, everything else needed to reassemble again…

Attachments

• 65F9F4DB-11EC-44B9-BD9F-35AA694D8A4B.jpeg
    65F9F4DB-11EC-44B9-BD9F-35AA694D8A4B.jpeg
    803.2 KB · Views: 53
Today my Raspberry Pi 400 arrived. I've previously bought and used a Pi2 and Pi3B but this one is far more useful since it's built into a keyboard and comes with a mouse, a wall wart, software on SD card, and a Pi Pico development kit. At AU$160 shipped this thing is the deal of the decade. Unfortunately I need a DVI to HDMI adapter to use it with any of my monitors, but should be able to play around with it next week.

1653612021596.png