Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

.... and... I'M IRON-MAN !

(do you think DIYinkh makes good boards... common !)

I would ask the guy behind Buffallo to update his Bufallo board with the lastest ESS chips !

@Ian : would you re print some Clock Board II as well or update it with new LDOs or not any wisch for that one ? Some on shelf yet ?

I'll try this evening.

Ian

.... and... I'M IRON-MAN !

(do you think DIYinkh makes good boards... common !)

I would ask the guy behind Buffallo to update his Bufallo board with the lastest ESS chips !

@Ian : would you re print some Clock Board II as well or update it with new LDOs or not any wisch for that one ? Some on shelf yet ?

Dont quite get your sense of humor... but thats OK.

diyinhk for source should be ok as Ian's FIFO follows it in the signal path.

I am not a fan of Bufallo's multichannel option.
Have burnt my hand once with a stacked IV/DAC multichannel approach.

Maybe you have pointers to good multichannel DAC options.

Based on Ian's FIFO, i wish for one of these topologies

1. 4 x stereo DACs boards with IV on board.
2. a single board with DAC and 4 stereo IVs
3. 1 DAC board + a single stacked board with 4 stereo IVs

DAC control, volume control, Power supplies etc all need to be considered for the right DAC solution to match Ian's MC FIFO. As i said before, i think as a source DIYINHK MC USB to I2S seems fine to me.

Last edited:
I'm happy you are safe....

I would not mess up with DIYINKH stuffs. But I'm not in your shoes. We may have different needs.

But yes defintly multi PCM DAC outputts ( I'm not a fan of ESS either, but not so much diy project than already (not so good) existing cheap boards; Buffallo seems serious at the opposite).

I bet Ian coul make a good one, but God, where this man find time to do all what he is doing in a day !

Last edited:
Integrate McFIFO and McDualXO

Integrating McFIFO and McDualXO is easier than FIFO II and Dual XO II.

Only need one u.fl cable for MCLK and one FFC cable for multi-channel signals.

McFIFO and McDualXO need to be powered separately because of the built-in isolator.

McFIFO just need a normal power supply. However McDualXO need a low noise linear power supply as good as possible.

McDualXO can be stacked on top of McFIFO.

McFIFOMcDualXO6
by Ian, on FlickrIan

McFIFOMcDualXO1
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Ian,

I am a bit lost since i have not follow the thread for a while...

So there is a McFiFo, there is a McDualXO, what about the DSD FiFo ?
Or the DoP to DSD converter ? And a few other boards i am not able to recall all of them

I have kinda lost track of all the wonderful boards you created...

Hope you can summarise all the goodies you have created... And i can't wait for the GB to start... :)

Thanks

Hi Ian,

Or the DoP to DSD converter ? And a few other boards i am not able to recall all of them

Hope you can summarise all the goodies you have created... And i can't wait for the GB to start... :)

Thanks

According to what I know, McFiFo and McDualXO are to support native DSD.

Hi Ian,

Thanks

DoP is normally for stereo application, so, I would integrated DoP decoder with IsolatorPi. However, its native DSD output can be fed into McFIFO as a DSD/I2S source. Very interesting.

According to what I know, McFiFo and McDualXO are to support native DSD.

Thanks cyrilliu for your perfect answer:)

Good weekend.
Ian

Integrating McFIFO and McDualXO is easier than FIFO II and Dual XO II.

Only need one u.fl cable for MCLK and one FFC cable for multi-channel signals.

McFIFO and McDualXO need to be powered separately because of the built-in isolator.

McFIFO just need a normal power supply. However McDualXO need a low noise linear power supply as good as possible.

McDualXO can be stacked on top of McFIFO.

Ian

Ian,

I2S input from the source board appears to be u.fl as well.
A mulichannel USB to I2S thats readily available is from DIYINHK. That doesnt have u.fl connectors. Can an adaptor board be made for soldering onto the DIYINHK board to get u.fl connectors?