B1 Buffer Preamp

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
There are toroids 2 x 12...15V available at almost any distributor. I made my Mezmerize with a small 2 x 12V 10VA one. The rationale in using dual supplies is that expensive coupling capacitors can be omitted (this saves money and a terrible amount of time discussing caps). The best coupling cap = no coupling cap.

The shunt power supply wins hands down from any SMPS. Recent sources have either output caps or they have DC outputs with servos. Power amplifiers should have input capacitors as a kind of fuse in a DC coupled system. I never ran into trouble of any kind with Mezmerize but of course one should check the setup and never assume matters. This counts for B1 as well as with the B1 there is a chance that 2 coupling caps are in series in the setup. Both at the input and at the output! Surprisingly (or not?!) no one discusses this.

It also sounds very good and it has IMHO the bare minimum of necessary features for ergonomical everyday use. It is offered for 14 years now to the general DIY crowd here at the diyaudio.com store and it is also one of the easiest DIY projects with high quality/price ratio.

Last edited:
I'd be grateful for a few words on how your "standard" build sounds which is what I shall begin with. My single reason for the build is to find out how the circuit will compare to the performance of my DIY JE Labs 76 Line Stage, active vs. buffered passive.

I tried the Schiit Saga+ with the single 6SN7 and was underwhelmed. I have a little box with an attenuator and switch from back in the CD intro days which sounded "pure" in the same rack with a 45 amp but in my current setup, a mismatch with 20' interconnects to KT88 monoblocks. The amps have the negative feedback from the Mullard circuit removed, so as wonderful as the 76 Linestage sounds, a passive is enticing to try.
View attachment 1088269
Interesting assortment of Gear there .
Shame that's All in an Itty Bitty room though.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Sorry, I was sarcastic as I detest external wall warts/adapters with SMPS technology for very low power applications like this. The choice for the Meanwell seems to be the best of your 3 options. Have a look at the SMPS post filter by Mark Johnson. It will make the SMPS perform like a good PSU.

No I won't recommend linear PSUs. They're pure horror with way too clean power :)

Last edited:
The PO89ZB filter noticeably improves the sound on the B1. Mine sound more relaxed with it.

Build the B1 and see what you think. It is an easy project and the cost is very, very reasonable for what you get.

I've built a DCB1, which is the bare-bones version of a symmetrical supplied B1 with a pcb designed by Omishra and sold by DIYAUDIO member Sachin.

It is hard to believe that such a simple circuit sounds so good, but it does. It is very clean, not bright, but transparent.

It depends on the system, but generally I would give the nod to the simple DCB1.

On my porch system, I preferred the B1, but I also played around with input/output caps until that system sounded the way I wanted it to. In my main system, the DCB1 sounds best and is what I kept in until I built an ACP+.

There are toroids 2 x 12...15V available at almost any distributor. I made my Mezmerize with a small 2 x 12V 10VA one. The rationale in using dual supplies is that expensive coupling capacitors can be omitted (this saves money and a terrible amount of time discussing caps). The best coupling cap = no coupling cap.

The shunt power supply wins hands down from any SMPS. Recent sources have either output caps or they have DC outputs with servos. Power amplifiers should have input capacitors as a kind of fuse in a DC coupled system. I never ran into trouble of any kind with Mezmerize but of course one should check the setup and never assume matters. This counts for B1 as well as with the B1 there is a chance that 2 coupling caps are in series in the setup. Both at the input and at the output! Surprisingly (or not?!) no one discusses this.

It also sounds very good and it has IMHO the bare minimum of necessary features for ergonomical everyday use. It is offered for 14 years now to the general DIY crowd here at the diyaudio.com store and it is also one of the easiest DIY projects with high quality/price ratio.

"saves ... a terrible amount of time discussing caps....
Classic!

Sorry, I was sarcastic as I detest external wall warts/adapters with SMPS technology for very low power applications like this. The choice for the Meanwell seems to be the best of your 3 options. Have a look at the SMPS post filter by Mark Johnson. It will make the SMPS perform like a good PSU.

No I won't recommend linear PSUs. They're pure horror with way too clean power :)
I detest cleanliness :rofl:

I bought a black Mezmerise board off a member here about 10 years ago together with matched fets and 2 5v relays to get me started. I have stupidly mislayed the relays that I see are now discontinued. I have Googled for replacements for the G6H-2-100 Non-latching 1A DPDT but despite suggestions none of them are 10 pin. Would I do better to get 12v relays, and if so does anyone have any details of the type I should get with 10 pins?