Bigbottle Phonostage Builders thread.

Even though they are rated that. Heat will shorten their life. I have a subwoofer where in the amp part the capacitor's life was ended by the heat of a nearby resistor. Causing the relay to chatter making the amp unusable...(This was a design flaw because hundreds of people had this problem with this model) Luckily the internet had the solution. How to Replace C52 Kef | Printed Circuit Board | Electrical Connector | Free 30-day Trial | Scribd

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. :D

So I'm not worried. Just thought it worth mentioning. It will probably work forever without the shield anyway so you are correct that no-one should worry about it.

Last edited:
Even though they are rated that. Heat will shorten their life. I have a subwoofer where in the amp part the capacitor's life was ended by the heat of a nearby resistor. Causing the relay to chatter making the amp unusable...(This was a design flaw because hundreds of people had this problem with this model) Luckily the internet had the solution. How to Replace C52 Kef | Printed Circuit Board | Electrical Connector | Free 30-day Trial | Scribd

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. :D

So I'm not worried. Just thought it worth mentioning. It will probably work forever without the shield anyway so you are correct that no-one should worry about it.

Where did you get the capacitor shield?

E3E953FA-40C3-456A-BFA7-5FF28783A14F.jpg

710BC7AC-BEBB-45FB-8DC2-3E1C1407E80E.jpg

240DC2D6-857E-412E-8904-8004A1054E72.jpg

Bought a £10 box from ebay. Need to wire up
Transformer and im good to go.
Might paint or add veneer or other embellishments.
And some transformer shielding.

View attachment 846764

View attachment 846765

View attachment 846766

Bought a £10 box from ebay. Need to wire up

Transformer and im good to go.

Might paint or add veneer or other embellishments.

And some transformer shielding.
What resistors have you used? They look fantastic against the black background...

PS, you're making a really nice quality build there, so chuck those terminal blocks away on the signal connections and solder them straight into the PCB.

Makes a difference.

Love the box idea BTW

Yes. The very same ones. PRP from hifi collective.

And i do use them because they are red as it really brings something to the design.
They also work well.

Thanks oliver. I usually make my own. Lockdown made it harder and had a brain wave.
Box is well made for the price.
It can always be improved with brass fittings

Ill solder the leads in.

Andrew

Yes. The very same ones. PRP from hifi collective.

And i do use them because they are red as it really brings something to the design.

They also work well.

Thanks oliver. I usually make my own. Lockdown made it harder and had a brain wave.

Box is well made for the price.

It can always be improved with brass fittings

Ill solder the leads in.

Andrew
Good man!

Looks a great build