Bigbottle Phonostage Builders thread.

Though I would show my build, with exposed valves on the top of the case.

BKT8zP4.jpg

Using heatsinks I had in the spares draw, the heater regulator will be bolted to the underside of the top panel to act as heatsink.
The transformer isn't exactly to spec, again it is to hand, so there is a bridge rectifier fitted for the heater supply.

So all components fitted to the 'back' apart from valve bases, fets and relays, plus the heater reg once moved.

dJpdagX.jpg

The case was chosen to not be too bulky, so it is a nice snug fit.

1krmNe2.jpg

Had to figure out how to connect the input sockets and MM/MC switch with short wires, so ended up with extended wires from the transformer so the base could be removed to give access.

0NjuXqi.jpg

Rear view.

DuGX4Tq.jpg

Lastly in situ in use.

k3hs49S.jpg

Though I would show my build, with exposed valves on the top of the case.

BKT8zP4.jpg

Using heatsinks I had in the spares draw, the heater regulator will be bolted to the underside of the top panel to act as heatsink.
The transformer isn't exactly to spec, again it is to hand, so there is a bridge rectifier fitted for the heater supply.

So all components fitted to the 'back' apart from valve bases, fets and relays, plus the heater reg once moved.

dJpdagX.jpg

Nice! What case is that?

The case was chosen to not be too bulky, so it is a nice snug fit.

1krmNe2.jpg

Had to figure out how to connect the input sockets and MM/MC switch with short wires, so ended up with extended wires from the transformer so the base could be removed to give access.

0NjuXqi.jpg

Rear view.

DuGX4Tq.jpg

Lastly in situ in use.

k3hs49S.jpg

Joined 2009
Paid Member
My BB3 board arrived back after being fettled (big thank you to Alan) so I fitted it back into it's temporary case and wired it up. Now in place in the test system and sounding pretty good. For those like me using ECC88's with 6.3v heaters it's worth fitting a taller heatsink on the regulator. Hopefully I will get a longer listen tomorrow. A couple of pics.

DSC_0942.jpg

DSC_0944.jpg

DSC_0946 (2).jpg

Last edited:
My BB3 board arrived back after being fettled (big thank you to Alan) so I fitted it back into it's temporary case and wired it up. Now in place in the test system and sounding pretty good. For those like me using ECC88's with 6.3v heaters it's worth fitting a taller heatsink on the regulator. Hopefully I will get a longer listen tomorrow. A couple of pics.

View attachment 839280

View attachment 839281

View attachment 839282
Fantastic....

Good to see ot up and running. Easy fix too I believe?

View attachment 839280

View attachment 839281

View attachment 839282

What was the cause of your problem ? Overheating ?

Wondering if transformer parameters should be added to BOM? I didn't fine any info in this thread, I know from different thread that people were getting this R-Core transformer: R26-90 primary 115 X 2 : 0-165V(0.1A); 0-9V (1A) X 2

but it would be nice if officially recommended specs were in BOM.