Bob Cordell Interview: BJT vs. MOSFET

Bob, do you have any experience with ferrite bead at the gate, I remember you saying something like this?
If so, could you give some guidelines on how to choose a proper one for linear mode, I mean impedance at 25Mhz, at 100MHz, number of turns or so... and any results like bandwidth, stabiity, cross-conduction?

Best regards,
Adam

Re: The Importance of current slew rate capability

Bob Cordell said:

For a good conventional power transistor with ft = 4 MHz and a healthy Ib = 50 mA, we only get an achievable current slew rate of 1.2 Amps/us.

I don't understand. Do you assume 50mA dynamic base current? To my understanding a base current can not only stop being pushed, but also can be reverse-sucked from base at fast transients. And for drivers which may well switch to classB that's much more than 50mA, note that most darlington output stages have a capacitor between emitters of drivers. Same goes to bjt EF+mosfet SF configuration.

Regards,
Adam

Re: Cgd

Edmond Stuart said:
Hi Bob,

I've tried your R-C Zobel too as well as small gate stoppers, but that didn't cure the problem, that is, in my particular design. I tend to give up to squeeze the last (two) volts.

Cheers, Edmond.

Hi Edmond,

These things do tend to be design-dependent and layout-dependent.

The best way to handle the increasing Ccb problem is to use a Baker Clamp that prevents the output stage from trying to swing any closer than 5V to the rail. Under these conditions, the Ccb for an IRF240, for example, will be less than about 400 pF. Baker Clamps are always a good thing for clean clipping anyway. Moreover, staying 5V away from the rail tends to better keep the relatively dirty high-current main rail better isolated from the signal path.

Cheers,
Bob

darkfenriz said:
Bob, do you have any experience with ferrite bead at the gate, I remember you saying something like this?
If so, could you give some guidelines on how to choose a proper one for linear mode, I mean impedance at 25Mhz, at 100MHz, number of turns or so... and any results like bandwidth, stabiity, cross-conduction?

Best regards,
Adam

Hi Adam,

I did try ferrite beads a bit a long time ago and did have some success with them, but I don't have any recent experience or recommendations for them. A ferrite bead that transitions to about 100 ohms resistive at 10 MHz or so might be a good choice.

I do wonder if there are some out there who would be concerned about the sound of a ferrite bead in the signal path. Sometimes a ferrite bead in the drain will help as well.

Cheers,
Bob

Re: Re: The Importance of current slew rate capability

darkfenriz said:

I don't understand. Do you assume 50mA dynamic base current? To my understanding a base current can not only stop being pushed, but also can be reverse-sucked from base at fast transients. And for drivers which may well switch to classB that's much more than 50mA, note that most darlington output stages have a capacitor between emitters of drivers. Same goes to bjt EF+mosfet SF configuration.

Regards,
Adam

Hi Adam,

I am assuming a driver with a standing current of 50 mA, so 50 mA of suckout current is available, assuming the driver stays in Class-A and no inter-emitter speedup capacitor is used. You are right, the use of a speedup capacitor can help this situation.

Note that one also needs to give some thought as to where this base charge is being dumped and whether it can introduce a bit of distortion of its own into the signal path.

Cheers,
Bob

I do wonder if there are some out there who would be concerned about the sound of a ferrite bead in the signal path.

Never ever put it in the sigal path

For those who like to put them - here is the distortion of some amplifier. Output power 1W at 8 Ohms.

Attachments

• amplifier.jpg
    amplifier.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 840
Re: MOSFET pole

Edmond Stuart said:

I'm really concerned about that evil pole. The problem is that we need a series gate resistor, but at the same time, the Cgd of vertical MOSFETs varies enormously. From say 50pF at Vds=100V to a few nF at Vds=1V. If one tries to squeeze the last volts from an output stage and also applies a lot of NFB, this swinging pole really jeopardizes the stability. Up to now, I wasn't able to correct this nasty behavior. Any idea how to tackle this problem?

Enclose the mosfet in Local current feedback loop, to act as Voltage Controlled Current Source. Its highly effective when you tend to drive the Mosfets near the rails. Also configure the driver in EF Push-pull fashion for driving the gate of Mosfets. Its highly effective scheme when dealing with wide variation of Cgd w.r.t to VDS.

Kanwar

Re: Re: Cgd

Bob Cordell said:
Hi Edmond,

These things do tend to be design-dependent and layout-dependent.

The best way to handle the increasing Ccb problem is to use a Baker Clamp that prevents the output stage from trying to swing any closer than 5V to the rail. Under these conditions, the Ccb for an IRF240, for example, will be less than about 400 pF. Baker Clamps are always a good thing for clean clipping anyway. Moreover, staying 5V away from the rail tends to better keep the relatively dirty high-current main rail better isolated from the signal path.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob,

I was asking how to deal with MOSFETs when the output comes close to the rails. So, staying 5V away from them is not a very helpful advice.

Cheers, Edmond.

Re: Re: MOSFET pole

Workhorse said:
Enclose the mosfet in Local current feedback loop, to act as Voltage Controlled Current Source. Its highly effective when you tend to drive the Mosfets near the rails. Also configure the driver in EF Push-pull fashion for driving the gate of Mosfets. Its highly effective scheme when dealing with wide variation of Cgd w.r.t to VDS.

Kanwar

Hi Kanwar,

That's about the same as I had in mind. Now I have to figure out what's better: a voltage controlled current source or a current controlled current source.
BTW, can I have a schematic of your solution?

Cheers, Edmond.

dimitri said:

Never ever put it in the sigal path

For those who like to put them - here is the distortion of some amplifier. Output power 1W at 8 Ohms.

Hi Dimitri

That is quite a different situation, isn't it?
At mosfet's gate dynamic current should not exceed, say 5mA at normal operation, what's more, in your example ferrite bead is not within feedback loop, so this -50dB harmonics are not so scary.
It is like comparing a bjt emitter follower, which centainly consists of a b-e diode in signal path, to a rectifier.

Cgd

Workhorse said:
VCCS!!
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1281847&stamp=1187524503

CCCS!!
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1202773&stamp=1178522807

A very simple Rail to Rail with push-pull EF drivers, Max rail loss is less than 1 V, NO Cgd Trouble. No Rail-sticking during severe HF Clipping.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=937736&stamp=1150022131

Kanwar

Hi Kanvar,

Thanks for your input. I'll put them in my simulator and I really hope that all problems are gone now.

Cheers, Edmond.

Re: Ferrite Bead in Spkr Line

@Dimitri:
Thanks, lesson learned: Don't use "inductors" with varying inductance vs. current, which is exactly what seems to happen with lossy ferrites, in the audio band. AF is DC current bias from the ferrite's POV. To shield RF from the amp one should only consider common mode type of lossy/nonlinear filters, and even those might be compromised.

- Klaus

I haven't found lossy ferrite to measure that bad - I guess there are many formulations and geometries that affect saturation distortion in lossy ferrite parts - you do have to test

My TPA6120 based headphone amp uses a ferrite smt bead core to isolate the cable C, as I recall the distortion at 8 Vrms into 32 Ohms wasn't obvious with my Juli@ card using RMAA

further, even using Dimitri's example the distortion is odd harmonic so it should scale with at least the square of the current -40 dB less current should give -80 dB less distortion for -130 dB and that is inside the feedback loop in a gate stopper application

To shield RF from the amp one should only consider common mode type of lossy/nonlinear filters, and even those might be compromised.

That is correct. When I put 15 A rated common mode choke (two wires through the same bead) in the same amp I found the same distortion signature but 20-30dB less. Please be aware about the symmetry of common mode choke.

the distortion is odd harmonic so it should scale with at least the square of the current -40 dB less current should give -80 dB less distortion
That is correct, jcx. But what will be the peak gate current? Will it cause IMD inside audio band? My point was to warn those of you, who trust measurements. BTW in A/B comparison, golden ears preferred bead. :D