Bob Cordell Interview: BJT vs. MOSFET

abzug said:
But those links don't really explain why such effects won't affect a THD measurement.
As long as "THD measurement" refers to a steady state measurement in system equilibrium (which is the classical way using analog gear for which you may need several seconds to read the meter value), transient (mainly thermal) distortion mechanisms may get masked. But if you were to measure a small signal spectrum sequence after a power burst with small FFT-lengths (say, less than 0.25 seconds) you would see those transient changes. Same happens when you measure small signal THD vs. a temporary load bias current condition, or with similar transient test methods which test the system in a non-equilibrium state.

- Klaus

john curl said:
Hirata distortion measures something different than THD. You can actually lower THD and INCREASE Hirata distortion. I don't even understand the mechanism completely, BUT I have measured it.

Hi John,

The Hirata distortion measurement technique has always fascinated me, but I have never implemented it. How did you implement your Hirata distortion measurements?

Thanks,
Bob

thermal modeling is limited in Spice - the device temperature is a fixed parameter and not a "live" simulation variable

some people have attempted "patches" - notably Fairchild for switching MOSFETs where a device dissapation-thermal model drives some dependent sources to give Vth and R_on tempcos that vary with a simulated device temperature

my "hidden distortion" sim showed that it is theroretically possible for "coupled" distortion mechanisms can escape single tone THD measurement

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=492499#post492499

but i had to re-explain it a few pages later

anyone interested really must get Cerzwinski's mutlitone testing paper

but furter research needs to be done, multitone amplifier measurements could perhaps put a practical limit on "hidden" intermodulation distortion, i wouldn't be suprised if it was limited to as little as 10 dB over the prediction from single tone distortion identification of the principle nonliearities - the GedLee metric is probably not too far wrong in that aspect

Bob Cordell said:

How did you implement your Hirata distortion measurements?

Bob,

Some time ago, I tried myself to do some Hirata measurements (on some opamp based gain stages), using a MC1455 timer and MAX303 switches http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX301-MAX305.pdf to generate a test signal from a dual DC power supply (I tried all four waveforms), multiturn pots as attenuators, and a HP3478A 5 1/2 digit multimeter to measure the output. I haven't played much though, as I concluded that the sensitivity is quite low. Almost anything better than a LM301 opamp gain stage showed nonlinearities buried in the noise.

Certainly only breadboarding the thing had an impact on the circuit performance, for sure a finished instrument would do much better. However, I am still skeptical regarding the resolution and sensitivity of this method, at least for power amps. I also find Hiraga's statement "It was found that high-quality amplifiers with a total harmonic distortion of 0.01-0.001% show a nonlinear distortion of more than 0.04%" at least confusing, as no correlation with the THD numbers is provided.

It could be a very good tool for evaluating speakers, though. I haven't tried this so far.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member

Attachments

• hirata.png
    hirata.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 653