• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo DAC (ESS Sabre 9008)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You need around 4" to 5" from the Trans to the DAC, right? You could place the trans next to the PS and then the DAC/IVY. I am guessing this would need to be about 5" by 10". If you were to make it more square, you could place the trans in a front corner and the PS behind it next to the DAC. This would place the DAC and trans in opposite corners and could be as little as 8" by 8". These are not exact measurements or anything, just estimations of internal dimensions for as small as I would think of pushing it.

However, if you have the room I would still build it into a full size chassis and seperate the PS and trans from the DAC with a copper shield. Even better would be a seperate power supply chassis, then you could stick the DAC/IVY in a tiny box or inside another component like a preamp. Think about how good the sound of your DAC wired direct to your preamp/headamp would be with no interconnects. Think of the money you could save by not needing the DAC to preamp IC alone. This money could go into the cost of a PS chassis.

I know there has been talk about driving headphones with the IVY. Im guessing that those have been standard headphones. Has anyone tried running balanced headphones with it? It would be pretty neat to put an OTTO board on top of the IVY and then switch between heapdhones and line output.

MrMajestic said:
I know there has been talk about driving headphones with the IVY. Im guessing that those have been standard headphones. Has anyone tried running balanced headphones with it? It would be pretty neat to put an OTTO board on top of the IVY and then switch between heapdhones and line output.

Yes. I do. :)

I have balanced-wired HD580s fed from an IVY. It's part of my balanced DAC(Opus)/Pre-amp.

I have the IVY as the output stage switched with an Otto to either a 4-pin XLR on the front or 2 x 3-pin XLRs on the back.

I set the IVY up with 1.8k input resistors and 3.01k feedback to give a little bit of gain.
(Weird values, but I got some smd V-D 0.1% cheap :) [i'm using one of the proto SMD boards, atm.] )

I think it sounds superb, but I might be biased :)

MrMajestic said:
I know there has been talk about driving headphones with the IVY. Has anyone tried running balanced headphones with it?

That is actually very much an intended application for the IVY. :) I have used it this way since I first designed it. Even before the IVY I used the THS4131 to drive headphones with TXD boards. The THS4131 can drive a pretty substantial amount of current, so it seems a really good choice for the role. Be warned, once you run balanced headphones your not likely to want to go back to SE. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Russ White said:

That is actually very much an intended application for the IVY. :) I have used it this way since I first designed it. Even before the IVY I used the THS4131 to drive headphones with TXD boards. The THS4131 can drive a pretty substantial amount of current, so it seems a really good choice for the role. Be warned, once you run balanced headphones your not likely to want to go back to SE. :)

Cheers!
Russ

I run balanced already, so Im stuck there now. But thanks for the warning :)

Not sure if this was covered (kind of long thread), but I'm planning to build two of these DACs (one for home, one for work) and was wandering on the input to use.

At home I have an AV-710 so I'll be using Optical S/PDIF output.
At work I have nothing so I'll likely use USB.

This leaves me to a few decisions and I would like a little helpful info.

Optical S/PDIF: I will use the TOSLINK -> S/PDIF module and that will give me S/PDIF signal that I can run straight to the Sabre DAC, or I can use an S/PDIF receiver and feed the Sabre I2S. What would be the better approach?

USB: USB -> S/PDIF vs USB -> I2S. Again, which approach would be better?

Thanks in advance

FallenAngel said:
Not sure if this was covered (kind of long thread), but I'm planning to build two of these DACs (one for home, one for work) and was wandering on the input to use.

At home I have an AV-710 so I'll be using Optical S/PDIF output.
At work I have nothing so I'll likely use USB.

This leaves me to a few decisions and I would like a little helpful info.

Optical S/PDIF: I will use the TOSLINK -> S/PDIF module and that will give me S/PDIF signal that I can run straight to the Sabre DAC, or I can use an S/PDIF receiver and feed the Sabre I2S. What would be the better approach?

USB: USB -> S/PDIF vs USB -> I2S. Again, which approach would be better?

Thanks in advance

Because you are using our TOSLINK module the SPDIF signal should be nice and strong and easy to lock onto. So I would just use SPDIF input. You should still be able to keep it at the lowest DPLL bandwidth. Later if you want to experiment you could use the receiver and I2S input, but I doubt you will feel the need.

For the USB module I would go the I2S route. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Russ White said:

Because you are using our TOSLINK module the SPDIF signal should be nice and strong and easy to lock onto. So I would just use SPDIF input. You should still be able to keep it at the lowest DPLL bandwidth. Later if you want to experiment you could use the receiver and I2S input, but I doubt you will feel the need.

For the USB module I would go the I2S route. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Thanks Russ,

Just one more quick question; if I take S/PDIF from the PCM2707 (same as using "external" USB->S/PDIF converters) and feed that to the Sabre, how do you think it would compare to I2S?

Thanks

Russ White said:

I am sure it would sound just fine, and it can be a practical answer if you want to do source muxing.

Cheers!
Russ

Thanks again, that does raise another question; if I have two S/PDIF sources (this will likely be at home only, so Optical S/PDIF and Coaxial S/PDIF), would I need to use a multiplexer like the WM8805 or can I run two wires straight to the Sabre DAC? I'm thinking a simple DPDT switch is also an option, but I haven't found one that is 75-Ohms.

FallenAngel said:

Thanks again, that does raise another question; if I have two S/PDIF sources (this will likely be at home only, so Optical S/PDIF and Coaxial S/PDIF), would I need to use a multiplexer like the WM8805 or can I run two wires straight to the Sabre DAC? I'm thinking a simple DPDT switch is also an option, but I haven't found one that is 75-Ohms.

I designed this just for the occasion. :) The reason we used the CS8416 is because you can't use the WM8805 as a MUX in hardware mode, which stinks...

Cheers!
Russ

Attachments

• small.jpg
    small.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,485
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.