• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo DAC (ESS Sabre 9008)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yeah - but as point of interest "Oxygen" by jean michel jarre

100% synthesizer - sounds truly excellent :D

dunno how many waves are square but I get the feeling I am begining to hear it how he intended.

B.T.W. steep filter sounds way better than gentle filter

I cannot believe how good this sounds and I'm still in voltage mode !

and volumite is working nicely - thx :)

compuryan said:
Will the sound quality be degraded any with the volumite attached vs. run passively w/o volumite?

I just added volumite and it sounds just fine, both at full volume and reduced a little bit - I also was wondering about this but my at least according to my ears it sounds good.

Of course as you turn it down the signal to noise ratio will get worse but perhaps with buffalo there is some leeway in this regard.

The amp I am using presently has a voltage gain of 21 so I need the volume turned down quite a bit so for now I am still using an analogue control but my next amp will have a gain off 11 and then perhaps I can use volumite only.

mike

mikelm said:
mmm - I was just thinking, perhaps volumite reduces digital noise as well as the digital signal - if that is the case then it's a pretty neat arrangement.

There is a very interesting white paper written by Daniel Weiss (Medea and Minerva DAC):

http://www.weiss-highend.ch/minerva/index.html

open the pdf "white paper".

For every 6db volume reduction you loose 1 bit. This is math:
If you shift a decimal number to the right, it will be divided by ten, you loose one digit.
If you shift a dual number to the right, it will be divided by two (-6db), you loose one digit(=bit).
If you play a 16bit file with the old buffalo, you can turn the volume down to
(24-16)*6 = 48db without loss.
I don't know if these rules are applicable for modern converters as well, because sometimes they internally work with an even higher bit rate.

regards
Andre

I'm trying to help a friend realise a John Swenson IV stage (based on Gary Pimm's CCS) for the output stage from a Buffalo Sabre Dac. He has an IVY & Counterpoint & I recommended that this IV stage might make a good comparison.

I'm OK with the JS IV stage as he has given lots of detailed info on it's workings & paramters (schematic attached). Will not be using the follower stage.

I'm looking for help with the following questions:
1.The current output of the buffalo is a high16mA, I think - if operating in SE output is this reduced to 8mA?
2. Is 221R the IV resistor used in the IVY & the buffalo?
3. What's the best way of getting SE output from the Buffalo?
4. Have people experimented with different quality IV resistors?

Any & all help appreciated!

Rolls, I'm interested in your experience with the trafo IV stage you're using - any advice?

Attachments

• ccs iv stage compressed.gif
    ccs iv stage compressed.gif
    25.4 KB · Views: 745
jkeny said:
Rolls, I'm interested in your experience with the trafo IV stage you're using - any advice? [/B]

Hello Ikeni
probably you read my post 1753.
I have used S&B with silver winding and a prototype Audio Consulting with copper wire, both wired 1:10. I/V resistor is, must be(!!) Vishay bulk metal, 1k or 2.5k, depends on the output you need.
After burn in Audio Consulting transformer is the clear winner, S&B is grainier. I have not tried Lundahl microphone transformers 1:11.2, which could be a good choice for less money.

regards Andre

mikelm said:
mmm - I was just thinking, perhaps volumite reduces digital noise as well as the digital signal - if that is the case then it's a pretty neat arrangement.

Digital volume won't attenuate the inherent noise/distortion of the DAC, so it may be worthwhile configuring the analog gain of ones system to be no higher than it needs to be in order to maximize DR.

Having said that, I've found that digital volume control can give very good results.

jkeny said:
I'm trying to help a friend realise a John Swenson IV stage (based on Gary Pimm's CCS) for the output stage from a Buffalo Sabre Dac. He has an IVY & Counterpoint & I recommended that this IV stage might make a good comparison.

I'm OK with the JS IV stage as he has given lots of detailed info on it's workings & paramters (schematic attached). Will not be using the follower stage.

I'm looking for help with the following questions:
1.The current output of the buffalo is a high16mA, I think - if operating in SE output is this reduced to 8mA?
2. Is 221R the IV resistor used in the IVY & the buffalo?
3. What's the best way of getting SE output from the Buffalo?
4. Have people experimented with different quality IV resistors?

Any & all help appreciated!

Rolls, I'm interested in your experience with the trafo IV stage you're using - any advice?

Hi Jkenny,

1) Yes it is high, sure you can run it SE, but you will loose a lot of DNR.
2) No. Its 187R. OR 357. But really you choose the value based on the output you desire.
3) The old fashioned way. Just take one output and GND. But you will need to deal with the AVCC/2 offset not matter what you do.
4) not touching this one.

Cheers!
Russ

Re: AC1 with Buffalo32S and MUX working!

Russ White said:
Today I have been busy writing firmware for AC1/Femto that controls the Buffalo32S and Mux with these features.

Volume (RE and IR)
L/R balance (IR)
Mute (IR)
SRC selection (IR)

The display is VFD. :)

It is working perfectly. :)

I will probably also allow setting of certain registers. But I am not sure which or how yet.

Cheers!
Russ

Hi Russ, when would this AC1/Femto ready for order? I want to have a Volume control, Femto seems promising to me, just wondering if I should wait it out, or get a Volumite first. Thanks!

Russ - I have a question about buffalo 1 cct diagram which I have just been studying before I connect counterpoint etc.

I can't help noticing that VA does not go anywhere except to 2 capacitors.

I was hoping you could explain what VA does in this cct.

does it provide the power for IC3 ?

thanks

mike

mikelm said:
Russ - I have a question about buffalo 1 cct diagram which I have just been studying before I connect counterpoint etc.

I can't help noticing that VA does not go anywhere except to 2 capacitors.

I was hoping you could explain what VA does in this cct.

does it provide the power for IC3 ?

thanks

mike
VA is the analog power supply. It's sole duty is to power the dual opamp that acts as the AVCC voltage regulator. :)

Cheers!
Rus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.