Building a Pearl 2

I'm just starting another Pearl II. I've checked Mouser, DigiKey, Newark and RS and they are out of stock on ZTX450. I prefer not to purchase from eBay and risk counterfeit devices. I've read that BC550 or MPSA18 is a working substitute, but not necessarily in the Pearl II. Any suggestions for sources or substitutes will be appreciated, thanks.
Element14 are still showing some stock.

Hopefully an easy question. I am getting ready to wire my PSU. I have never build a PSU before, and I am paranoid about it. I am using a combined IEC/switch/fuse unit. Here is a photo of the wiring diagram:

iec switch wiring.png

The switch is on the right in the photo (on is up), AC is on the left, and the fuse is in the middle. Do the two hot primary wires from the transformer connect to the hot load terminal in the photo, and the two neutral primary wires from the transformer connect to the neutral load terminal? 6L6 used a similar switch unit. However, it is a bit different, and the wiring shown in his photos appears to be different. I want to make sure I get this right.

Hello Guys,

Need your help. I finished the boards a few weeks ago. Measured voltages and all seemed ok. I set the zero volts (there were 3-4 volts at each board before doing it). Then I broke a finger and could not progress anymore. Last night I did all the connections and also tried to setup the new turntable. Had some problems with the turntable setup (Pro-Ject) due to lack of self knowledge and basic to almost no good instructions from the manufacturer. I still need somehow to check is the turntable is working as supposed.

I have connected everything and no sound at all.

This morning I was reading on Internet about RCA connectors assembly instructions and noticed I have inverted the inside plastic washer with the ground washer, the ground washer is touching the chassis.

I now I need to correct but do you think that this could be the "no sound"?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_9498.JPG
    IMG_9498.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_9499.JPG
    IMG_9499.JPG
    582.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_9500.JPG
    IMG_9500.JPG
    615.4 KB · Views: 114
As mjf pointed out, double check all of your power supply wire voltages. It's harder to visually inspect your images because you've used the same wires for signal as for power supply. Double check the output of the voltage regulators on the PCB. Use the parallel resistors (R3 & R4) and (R31 & R33) as test points with reference to ground to make sure you are getting +/- 24v out of your regulators on each board.

Presuming your power supply is wired correctly, the next thing to explore is Q2 - they are VERY static sensitive and a number of people blow them before their first power up. Double check your small transistors (especially Q4, Q5, Q10, Q11 to make sure you go the orientation correct.

ref. pcb dc+ - ground connections -
are there on one side 2 red and one black cables and
on the other side 2 black and one red ?
I used that red wire that you noticed because I ran out of black wire and that was the last one I installed. Except that red wire for all the wires I used red for DC+, RCA in and out and black wire for DC- and all the grounding including RCA grounding