Chinese ES9018K2M I2S DAC

Can someone explain or detail the volume distortion bug on the cheap boards implementation? the stock es9018 would have its stock config on these boards at a stock level which is over max 0db level : meaning I need to lower digital volume in a software on the pc ? no way to easily correct that in the es9018 dac config on board ?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I use Nichicon Muse. A 10uF type is good for all line level applications. The size will depend on the impedance of the following stage. A 10k pull-down resistor follows the cap in this board, so the minimum size is approximately 4.7uF.

I have removed this resistor and connect the output to a volume control and then to a JFET buffer which feeds the output.

The volume control issue is simple, with the earlier 9018k2m boards the maximum supply voltage you can feed to the board is limited to ~13.5V due to the biasing network capacitors and output capacitors (both are 6.3V types). This means the stock opamp will distort at higher output voltages.

In addition the ESS 90xx series has an internal volume control that goes to +6dB (or, digital clipping). Some early implementations did not account for this, leading to require some (digital) attenuation of the input signal from the preceding stage or a software host. I'm not sure what happens when the I2C lines are pulled up, as in this implementation. It is possible that the output defaults to 0dB. Once I cleaned up the output stage I cannot detect major rise in distortion in the top two steps of the volume control as would be expected.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Both are 3.3V on mine, both the type and the measured voltage.

You should learn that the silkscreen on most Chinese boards are iffy and not to be trusted, ever. It will end in tears if you don't follow datasheets, schematics and the actual parts in use.

Hi,

Yesterday I gave my new ES9028 a Trial. Before connecting it to my Hifiberry DAC plus pro I2S out I modified the board a Little:

- changed DC blocker AL caps to WIMA MKS2 4,7 uF film types
- changed the Al buffer caps for OP amp and for DAC chip to Panasonic FM types
- changed the OPamp to OPA2134 (Thanks for this advise!)
- powered the board with DC 11,3V from my Sigma 11 PSU

I was really impressed of the Sound coming from this cheap board. I could compare it with my modified AKM4495 China board with AD823 OPA:

- The AKM makes a wider stage, maybe due a better seperation of L/R channels.
- AKM has a slightly finer and elegant height resolution - or lets say there was a kind of hiss noise at high frequencies with the ES9028 which could be related to not completely burn in or to the SW filter of the DAC - the resolution is very good at all.
- The ES9028 gave a better dynamic than the AKM. Especially micro dynamics from percussive guitars or drum sets are obviously better than from AKM board. Maybe this is due to the output resistors on the AKM board to reduce the line Level - I tried sveral OPA to improve bass output at AKM but with no effect. maybe I should try a Buffer after voltage devider resistors.

I will check how the hiss developes (anyway it is not that obvious, still a very good DAC especially for 17 EUR!). If it becomes better it is definitely the best DAC for the money I ever had. And I had no Problems with strange sounds, changing the tracks or volume - completely silent between the tracks.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
No hiss on my unit, I assume the resistors are thick-film type in the 9028 as opposed to the MELF types used in the 9018 board. That may add a bit of noise, but definitely can't make it audible at idle. There may be something else going on (I'd suspect a dubious 2134, a remarked TL072 will create some noise).

another listening session with my ES9028..

I put a film cap directly between V+ and V+ pin at OPamp to see if the hiss improves - and it did..BUT first I had a strange start problem I never had before - no sound came out of the system after that mod. I first thought it was the analog crossover, but it seems the DAC has a sporadically error - still not sure if it was the DAC but I never had this before.

Than somehow it worked after some restarts but then the next shock - right side made some strange noise and I switched the power off again. After power on everything worked fine up to the next error - the DAC changed left channel with the right one. The bass on "we get requests" suddenly came from the left side instead of the right! After powering again the sides changed back to normal, so I guess there must be a bug in the microcontroller or in the DAC chip - maybe the secret why this boards are that cheap?

what a pitty - I really liked the dynamic sound with a completely different staging than my AKM - the AKM sounds warmer with less energy in the mids which makes the soundstage wider and more distant. The es9028 is more into the face with a soundstage more narrow but more explosive...but with all the mess of channel changes and drop outs that was it - at least with this board.

Anybody had similar experience?

I recently bought from eBay an ES9018K2M and an Amanero-type USB to I2S decoder. Assembled them and powered it up an external PSU. Works fine except for some static or clicks during playback - not annoying but it's there.

1) I've read a post re changing the NE5532 to OPA2174. May I know exactly what improvements to expect if I do this? Are there any things I need to do first before the change?
2) there was also mention of running the supply at 11.3V(?). Why? I'm running mine at 9V.
3) I'm using the DAC for my audio setup (not RPi), with the Audivarna as audio player software. When I look at the Debug Info of Audirvana, it show the selected/preferred USB Audio DAC and Manufacturer is Burr-Brown:TI not ESS ES..... as highlighted in the attached file. Any ideas why?
Thanks

Attachments

• debug.pdf
    27.4 KB · Views: 348
I recently bought from eBay an ES9018K2M and an Amanero-type USB to I2S decoder. Assembled them and powered it up an external PSU. Works fine except for some static or clicks during playback - not annoying but it's there.

1) I've read a post re changing the NE5532 to OPA2174. May I know exactly what improvements to expect if I do this? Are there any things I need to do first before the change?
2) there was also mention of running the supply at 11.3V(?). Why? I'm running mine at 9V.
3) I'm using the DAC for my audio setup (not RPi), with the Audivarna as audio player software. When I look at the Debug Info of Audirvana, it show the selected/preferred USB Audio DAC and Manufacturer is Burr-Brown:TI not ESS ES..... as highlighted in the attached file. Any ideas why?
Thanks

Oh,you are using a PCM2706,so,BB

Not exactly the Amanero, I used the term "amanero-type" as described by the seller. It worked perfectly well with the 9023' and I'd say as well with the 9018k2m.

I am just curious about the two changes, 1 and 2 in my first post, and what I should be looking for as improvements should I go ahead with it.

Also curious why Audirvana would described this USB Dac as a Burr-Brown made by Texas Instrument, and not a Sabre ES9018. But perhaps only Audirvana users in the forum can give me a clue.

Audirvana and your os see the pcm2706 as the usb device so correctly report it as a Burr-Brown device.

The DAC proper is i2s connected and won't be configured correctly as it is hampered by the low spec (sample rate and bit rate and usb 1.1 throughput) of the preceding pcm2706

Biff out the pcm2706 and replace it with the matching xmos for the dac board.
NEWEST XMOS U8 USB 384K 32B I2S SPDIF output,support DSD for es9018 DAC | eBay