Classic Aleph Amplifier for Modern UMS Chassis Builder's Thread

Joined 2014
Paid Member
@Mikerodrig27

The BA3 is nice. A bit of a cross between the F4 and F5. Since I already had both, it didn't really offer something different enough. I think if you like F4 but don't have a preamp with enough gain the BA3 makes a lot of sense. I've liked all the amps I've built so far except for the M2X. I only used that for for short while and then repurposed the chassis and power supply for the Aleph J.
That makes sense. I appreciate the feedback on it. How do the dynamics compare to the Alephs? As far as the bass control?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Reviews are mixed on BA3 amplifier? I’d disagree. The mixed reviews are more about using BA3 front-end as preamp.

BA3 amplifier is the magic mix of everyting that’s good about F5 and F4. (Which is logical as the front-end is a slightly scaled-down F5, and the output section is F4 without the Jfet buffer)

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I am going off my talking to a few people that have built them. I was talking to another person who built the BA-3 and ended up not being too crazy about it either. Their comment on it was that it was dynamic but mainly good for rock etc. But then there are others that say the exact opposite. They took the chassis and put another amp inside of it.

In another thread I had mentioned if someone could pull the trimmer pot (P3) and get the values for a good 2nd harmonic distortion, then builders could use resistors instead of the trimmer pot. I think the big hurdle with the amp is not having a distortion analyzer. Does that seem like a good idea?

I haven't built the BA-3 as an amplifier myself. I did try it as a preamp and liked my BA2018 better. So I am only going off of what I have heard from other people regarding the amp.

Sorry for the derail. I promise it is my last question

To clarify, I thought the BA3 was very nice, i.e., agree with 6L6. It just seemed a bit redundant since I had an F4 (and a preamp that could drive it) and an F5 already. It struck me as (very) similar to the F4 with a bit of the F5 zip added to the mix. :) Whether you like it or not will depend on whether you like really neutral amps like the F4 or prefer a bit more color like you get with the Aleph J. I enjoy both: the F4 and Aleph J are my two favorites (so far) even though they sound different.

Back on topic, I was surprised by how different the Aleph 30 sounded from my Aleph J. I was expecting the difference to be more subtle, maybe something like the F5 versus F6. But the Aleph 30 has a sound that is quite unique. I am really enjoying it and am thankful Randy produced these lovely boards.

Reactions: 2 users
Back on topic, I was surprised by how different the Aleph 30 sounded from my Aleph J. I was expecting the difference to be more subtle, maybe something like the F5 versus F6. But the Aleph 30 has a sound that is quite unique.

Please describe the differences between the Aleph 30 and Aleph J. I have built the J and enjoyed it, but I haven’t built my Aleph 60 yet. The Aleph J and Aleph 30 primarily differ in the input stage (MOSFET vs JFET), so I am quite curious in your subjective impressions.
Best,
Anand.

I agree with Nelson's explanation: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/the-aleph-j.61803/post-700224

I could be wrong but I think the 30 has a higher damping factor than the J based on the Aleph 30 manual and Aleph J data on the FW site. Anyway, the J sounds very elegant to me, smooth and calm, or as Nelson stated, relaxed. The 30, on the other hand, sounds more forceful on my ML speakers but maybe not quite as smooth (a bit looser or rougher). To put it another way, the J cooperates with the speakers whereas the 30 takes control of them. It has more drive and snap, whereas the J tends to soften things a bit. I expected the 30 to drive 4ohm speakers a bit better based on what I have read. I just expected the difference to be more subtle and not so noticeable.

Prior to the PS upgrade, the 30 was also noisier than the J. There was a low level hum from the speakers that was noticeable from a couple feet away, whereas the J is completely silent. Not too unlike the M2X. After installing Randy's W12 CRCRC PS the 30 is now dead quiet. It makes me very curious about the Aleph 60 and 2. But, ordered the XA252 from ZM this week so those will have to wait a bit.

Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
My Aleph 2s drive the Maggies with aplomb. Sometimes the First Watt is just not enough, you need the First Hundred Watts.

The SissyFIT is simply outstanding... now I want the XA252 SIT... I thought I wanted the XA252 MOSFET, but I don't know.

Mind you, I could get off the train with the SissyFIT... it just sounds sooo good.

I still want the bridged F4s with a BA3 based balanced preamp. I would love to hear the F4s over the Maggies.

It does get to the point where you need to take the speakers into account when you 'review" the sound of your amplifiers! The sound of the F4 and SissyFIT (and F5) is lost when you need to run a power hungry speaker... The A5s are the entry level for such... barely.. OTOH, with an efficient speaker, the more powerful amps will be simple overkill and at that point the First Watt becomes important.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
My DIY journey started with a Cordell board leveraging the Hafler DH220/200 chassis, power supply, and output mosfets.

Fire kindled and soldering iron hot and Maine winters cold and dark, my Pass DIY followed on quickly and accelerated from there, F6 then F4 then Aleph 60 monoblocks on Randy's boards then Aleph J., M2x followed by F5TurboV2, and very recently an Aleph 30, also on Randy's boards. I couldn't get the A30 up to 2.1 amps Iq in a 4u300- it's running at 1.8ish, with 60C chassis.

Fool that I am, I've lent my F6 and Aleph J out for an extended period, so don't have them here, but I would sort all these amps into three broad categories: F4 and F5 being sharp, detailed; F6, Aleph J, and M2X as "let me sing to you forever, my love"; and the Aleph 30 and 60 as authoritative, in control, and very similar to each other. The A60 is the A30, only more so.

Comparing the Aleph J to the A30/60, the J revealed a bit more detail and fruity fun, but at the expense of A30/60S clear revelation of what the recording is. I hear the engineer's mix so much more with the A30/60. The J says "ooh, I like this song, let me make it better," while the A30/60 take the recording and tell you what it is, yet make the most of it, as if to whisper in your ear "I got this." Often when an amp reveals a poor mix, poor recording, it's a letdown. For me, the A30/60's authority and magic make poor source material work too, you're just aware of it. A30/60 have me seeking out songs from one-hit rock and roll bands and showing me how much push the label was putting into the band by the quality of the mix. Sniff-n-the-Tears' Driver's Seat? They polished that production. Manfred Mann's Blinded by the Light? Not as glistening and shiny as you would think.

I can find the weaknesses of the Aleph J and the M2X while listening, "Oh, look, it can't do this trick" whereas the A30/60? They make me want to build A2 monoblocks, for if the 60 is more 30 than the 30, then I would hope the 2 is more 60 than the 60. I will be transferring the A30 into a 5U400 so I can up its voltage rails, its current and AC gain, and boost it up into an A40+.

The Aleph J is a rev-happy turbo-4 with no lag; the A30/60 are free spinning V6, V8, plenty of torque yet happy to rev.

At the moment, I learn a lot about sound from the M2X (and the J and the F6), but when the A60s are plugged back in, I'm back home in a comfortable leather chair with a gin martini, reading, listening.

These comparisons are all with the same input (B1 Korg) and speaker set in the same room: HSU HB1Mk2 horn-based bookshelves and a complimentary HSU 12" powered subwoofer driven by the amps' respective speaker outs. The differences in bass control and impact are dramatic considering everything else is the same.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
@Toadroller

Thanks very much for your insightful and detailed reviews. I can relate a bit as I know the sound of the Hsu HB1Mk2 speakers. This is definitely a fun hobby. Lego for adults, essentially. I am always surprised when my boxes from Digikey and Mouser “organize” themselves into a single box with heatsinks! Takes about 4 months though!

Best,
Anand.

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
F4 is chameleon, having all character from preceding gain stage

True.... to the point that it drives you to update the preamp... or, perhaps, not to have a preamp at all? Just a big chunk of autoformer....

And then, you come up with the SissySIT 42... and God Knows.

You know, if we had any common sense, we'd all build a SissySIT, get the correct speakers, a B1, stop reading this site -and the like, and settle down to Nirvana.

hmmm..

Naw... nobody accused any of us of having common sense about such things, huh? ZM is quite correct. The F4 is all about the front end. The trick then is that when we speak of the F4 we have to take into account the preamp... Mine is a CJ PV9 updated with the Teflon Caps and Russkie Svetlana tubes.

Meanwhile, as I type this, the SissySIT is beguiling, playing some Donny Hathaway, The Ghetto, Part 1, over Tidal Hifi Master... doing the digital thing today.

The F4 is for listening.

The SissySIT is for DANCING.
( Don't forget Randy's power supply board )

I haven't powered up the A2 for two weeks, the F4 for a week. It's been non stop SIT.

Joined 2014
Paid Member

Attachments

• 20230423_232158.jpg
    20230423_232158.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited: