DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Finished up an AD1865 build with a MC78xx/MC79xx PSU with dual 5v out. Paired with an XMOS interface.

I gotta say, it sounds fantastic. Really good.

Currently sourcing some legit AD1862s to do that build.

Thanks for the great project, Miro.

IMG_3294.JPG

KF, nice build! It looks like maybe you have some firsthand experience with the Soekris dam 1021? I would be interested to hear your subjective impressions between Miro's design and the Soekris stuff -- especially with the AD1862 chips if you get around to it

Yep, that's a dam1021 based build in the background. I built it a few years ago. It was my "main system" dac up until the little Khadas Toneboard I was using at my computer for day to day stuff died. It then got moved to my desk and it'll go back to main system duties now that I have this AD1865 build finished. There is an amanero i2s interface in the dam1021 build and an xmos one in the ad1865.

I mostly use a variety of headphones with a ton of DIY amps I've built over the years. Truth be told I can't hear any significant difference between the two, certainly nothing large enough I could easily pick it out. They both sounds great to me and are noticeably quieter than the ALC1200 in my PC. Both are dead silent and have a black background.

I'm super happy with both of them and they're both fun builds. Sokris is also a great person, super helpful. Just like Miro :)

Last edited:
. Sokris is also a great person, super helpful. Just like Miro :)

A little bit like telling your dad that your step dad is so cool BUT JUST DIFFERENT

Glad to hear all around. There appears to be plenty of discussion between Amanero and Xmos front ends. My current DAC is from Audio GD and it runs Amanero and PCM1704 chips. It also has a DSP at the front end. I'm interested to hear the differences between that the Miro's design (I'm still just waiting on parts)

Thanks for taking a minute and sharing your experience

I currently digged in service manuals from well known CD player manufacturers (where R-2R DACs are used - TDA1541A, PCM63, PCM58, AD1865, AD1862, PCM1702, PCM1704, ...) and searched for their power supplies
(brands: Accuphase, AIWA, Audio Note, Blaupunkt, Cambridge, Classé, Denon, Grundig, Harman-Kardon, JVC, Kenwood, Marantz, Meridian, NAD, Panasonic, Philips, Teac, Technics)
... They used 78xx/79xx regulators almost everywhere 🤩 Did they want to make the job easier? 🤣
Only Krell, sometimes Pioneer or Onkyo used a discrete PSU, (Sony and Yamaha often used a chip controller).