DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Alrighty DAC people.

I am gearing up for an op amp shootout. It looks like I'll get a chance to try some cool opa's, and I'm thinking maybe I should buy a few other models, have some people over, and see how/if there is a difference in sound. I'd like to try 4 opa's

1. Ada4627 [running now]
2. [Got something for this slot already]
3. Suggest something!
4. Suggest something!

In particular I would like to try one op amp that is considered cheap and less than ideal. I want at least one opa to test something that is regarded as more "bottom shelf". Hopefully that makes sense.

What do you think?

Hello, time has passed, are you listening to 797? Or is there something more interesting? I think to order or not, not cheap.
Yes, 797 is still my favorite, even after trying some other op amps like opa828. I have changed the cap to 2000pf, with 3k feedback resistor bypassed with 82pf capacitors. I ordered my 797brz from arrow.com. But, to be honest, if I did not have 797 available, I would probably be just as happy with opa828, ss3601 or ada4627-1.

Hidy I thought of your mod - maybe I'll do one of those

Also Miro, I think I should comment that I've been running reconstruction filter 1 and it sounds good. I'm not able to run frequency tests and things like that, but I think we can consider the reconstruction filters as "tested" now

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Alrighty DAC people.

I am gearing up for an op amp shootout. It looks like I'll get a chance to try some cool opa's, and I'm thinking maybe I should buy a few other models, have some people over, and see how/if there is a difference in sound. I'd like to try 4 opa's

1. Ada4627 [running now]
2. [Got something for this slot already]
3. Suggest something!
4. Suggest something!

In particular I would like to try one op amp that is considered cheap and less than ideal. I want at least one opa to test something that is regarded as more "bottom shelf". Hopefully that makes sense.

What do you think?
Alrighty then,
Maybe not real creative but how about
LM 6171 Miro’s personal choice for overall value and then maybe an AD 797

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I reached the limit of 10000 characters in the first post and I am unable to continue with further editing.
There will be an article functionality: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...limited-to-10k-characters.380937/post-6888196

For now, this link is holding the updated first post:
https://electrodac.blogspot.com/p/dac-ad1862-almost-tht-i2s-input-nos-r.html
I’m currently building up a psu1 and psu2 for an ad1862 dac and as usual I’m uncertain about ordering something to replace an “out of stock “ item as recommended on the bom. Psu2 calls for a Panasonic 100uf/25vdc capacitor at locations C9-12 and C25-28. I’m slowly becoming familiar with the data sheets and one thing that stands out is the ripple current rating. The panasonic is around 450ma which is much higher than most of the other capacitors that are in stock. So this is my long winded way of asking for a suitable replacement. And of course how critical is ripple current in this location?
Thanks

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Are 1/8 watt resistors acceptable on psu1 at R9 & R10? And on psu2 at
R21 & R22?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    628.3 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    593.9 KB · Views: 109
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hi Miro,
The first post has become utterly confusing now! It’s not easy to see how you linked all of the shortcuts to the different Gerber files in this giant thread. When you get a chance can you add the files and supporting info for the OPA861 I/V output stage that I had posted earlier.
Thank you :giggle: