DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Time to get started!

Attachments

• IMG_20200817_133026068.jpg
    IMG_20200817_133026068.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 512
Im using smaller film caps (1+10uf) in parallel with bigger lytics (47+470uf)

So will the parallel caps reduce the noise further more?
The datasheet says pin13 : pin15 caps must be @ 10:1 ratio.
I wonder a bigger caps like 470:47UF will yield a better result.

I am now fine tuning with passive bass boost.
I have some 1uF Film caps to try it on.
The bass is back nicely but a bit too bloated;
I will have to find Some 0.47uF in a local shop.

I Put in TX2575 resistors @ 2K4. Excellent resistors!
But the volume drops again so I replace the volt gain resistors with 3K6.

Attachments

• 9F60C212-BB3B-41E0-955A-44C28D13F9A5.jpeg
    9F60C212-BB3B-41E0-955A-44C28D13F9A5.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 395
Good work with the bass boost experiment. Lower the capacitor value and place trimmers instead of resistors 2k2 and 1k5. Tune it until you find something useful.
The volume will change with this tuning, so do the gain resistor adjustment :)

Here is a reference picture of how the frequency changes after a change in the component value (the full line is frequency, dotted line is phase)
... look where the full line shifts on freqency (to the left - deeper bass, to the right - more highs added)
... vertical scale is the intensity of selected frequency

Attachments

• passive-bass-boost.jpg
    passive-bass-boost.jpg
    927.6 KB · Views: 402
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I apologize Manniraj :(

I’ve used the V5 and V6 Classics, I preferred the V6 over LM6171, OPA1611 and NE5534 opamps. But, the OPA861 I/V boards (Aya II) I fabbed up sound really good also, that’s what I’ve been listening with most of the time.

Hey All,
I need another project like a hole in the head (or another hole....), but this one looks like fun.
Two questions to start:

1. Does anyone have any spare boards they are willing to part with, or is anyone interested in some boards if I order some?

2. Does anyone have any spare AD1862's ordered from Rochester, and if not, is anyone interested in a group buy to defer the cost of the minimum order?

Thanks
J

Getting close to testing my board and found that I should have paid more attention to which version of the board I downloaded. Unsurprisingly, when you have C27 and C32 in backwards they sizzle up pretty nicely! Fortunately I tested it empty of ICs and had a couple spare caps. Hopefully I can get the rest together and have a listening test this weekend.

After the capacitor episode I figured it best to fire the board up for the first time with some cheap op amps, and hey presto, all the smoke stayed inside. So I hooked up the eBay optical to i2c board and listened. Sounded ok with 5534, but lovely with 627. Now have to add some filtering to the dc-dc converters and mount it all properly (which will hopefully kill the slight ground loop), but this is a *most* satisfactory project - thanks again, miro!

did you mean optical to I2S (not i2c)?
glad to hear that :)
is it ground loop? be sure it is not an oscillation from the power supply ... because big capacitors with low ESR can put DC-DC into oscillation (try adding a small resistor in series with the capacitor .... here come useful the jumpers on power lines of DAC) ....
but the best thing you can do: put analog regulators between DC-DC and DAC :D