DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

the pcb works fine, sound excellent. good job miro.

Attachments

• IMG-20200626-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20200626-WA0002.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 983
Last edited:
@Pistolerro,

have you not a lisbona 's friend that own an aya dac as well ? Your id is telling me something but didn't remember where ??

Anyway, if the chips are good, the design, the powersupply, you will not be disapointed by the sound of it and it will swap the pcm 1702 in your short list with the tda1541 side to side, this last is harder to work with to extract the best.

that's a very good list of dac chips you have, the Cirrus is a collector and disearve if Ebay kitchen dac you make pcbs for them .

Could you please rate your dac devices list in order of liking for us please as you have a pretty collection ? What tube used for the tda 1541 ?
I m from lisbon but i don't know anyone with aya board. I have distinction v2 and v3 with 6sn7 tube output.

Regarding my list, i don't want to change the subject of the thread that is about ad1862.

I even had some comercial dacs, from lavry, metrum acoustics, meridian, cambridge etc..

Diggy..

I have an AYA DS 2015, as I have mentioned.
I also have dacs with PCM63, my main dac had been a heavily modified Tent dac with passive I/V and 12B4 output.
Between these two I have a slight preference for the PCM63. But both are very good.
This would be my main message..

And both are bettered by my Yanasoft DM4499 dac setup, and at second place a heavily modified Mirand dac with 4490... But let's leave it at that, don't want to derail.

Had also tweaked (cruelly) a NorthStar dac with CS4396, it could be made to sound good, tasty.

Ciao, George

@Pistolerro,

have you not a lisbona 's friend that own an aya dac as well ? Your id is telling me something but didn't remember where ??

Anyway, if the chips are good, the design, the powersupply, you will not be disapointed by the sound of it and it will swap the pcm 1702 in your short list with the tda1541 side to side, this last is harder to work with to extract the best.

that's a very good list of dac chips you have, the Cirrus is a collector and disearve if Ebay kitchen dac you make pcbs for them .

Could you please rate your dac devices list in order of liking for us please as you have a pretty collection ? What tube used for the tda 1541 ?

The devil is in the details..specialy the iv convertion...

Never heard any sigma delta sound so natural as old current output dacs.
Timbre and the real feeling of instruments don't come close.. The perception of each instrument and what is playing.. note this only happens with right iv... not the datasheet iv...

I can tell you that i heard a lot of akm boards, lot of opamps, lot of power supplies, salas etc, jensen top of the line output trafos, amb alpha 24 output stage, etc etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
the pcb works fine, sound excellent. good job miro.

Thanks Shing for your confirmation :)
you can compare your I/V setup with the LM6171 opamp, is one of the best I've tried in I/V, from a reasonable price range
If you are using the first board design, don't forget to turn correctly C27 and C32. In the second design it is rotated correctly (post #81).
Enjoy the NOS sound from one of the best DACs :D

Thanks Shing for your confirmation :)
you can compare your I/V setup with the LM6171 opamp, is one of the best I've tried in I/V, from a reasonable price range
If you are using the first board design, don't forget to turn correctly C27 and C32. In the second design it is rotated correctly (post #81).
Enjoy the NOS sound from one of the best DACs :D

is LM6171bim or LM6171aim?

Never heard any sigma delta sound so natural as old current output dacs.
Timbre and the real feeling of instruments don't come close.. The perception of each instrument and what is playing..

I wouldn't write it better :D Exactly, I/V is the next thing important for any DAC. This allows you to tune the whole sound stage for a specific type of music.
Filters also affect sound a lot, not always to the best, especially digital filters cause problems. They raise sales parameters but destroy the impression of music :rolleyes:

I wouldn't write it better :D Exactly, I/V is the next thing important for any DAC. This allows you to tune the whole sound stage for a specific type of music.

Filters also affect sound a lot, not always to the best, especially digital filters cause problems. They raise sales parameters but destroy the impression of music :rolleyes:
Exactly,
For example, yesterday i was swaping some filters on my akm4493 dac and get to the conclusion that none of them sound completly right... real..

Exactly,
For example, yesterday i was swaping some filters on my akm4493 dac and get to the conclusion that none of them sound completly right... real..

yes yes yes, i have no complain with other website, they list all spec, measurements ...etc, and i followed the number to buy it, but i cant find any feeling about the music, but thanks god i met ad1862, 1865, the magic sound is so easy to come out.

+1, I could add : according your other devices as well. Fed up with the guys that only listen to their dac with a scope at their outputt, they become deaf the time needed to understand finally what is happening :)