Define Subwoofer?

Yes as long as the driver's specs are close.
Thank you. Hey, out of interest and hope its not a stupid question

It's easier to create a given tuning with increasing volume when it comes to box to port volume. If I place two drivers in one 44L, would there be a cone balancing effect from the air suspension to force two drivers to operate at one spec? I am sure there isn't much variation between drivers within one model as any paper used is resin impregnated and tolerance seems way higher than the Dayton items that I have on hand. Just found the thought a curiosity and the idea of two woofers facing forward and two facing aft in a dual dual opposed quad setup funky

@David McBean. I'll continue this issue here instead of inundating the HR thread with this

Guys
I am sort of twigging onto what is happening with the spec listings with this brand's DVC subs. Help me figure this out please

Let's take two models that appear to be identical physically and the SVC appears to be running half the coils of the DVC

The Qes change is there. So the DVC seems to list for both coils in this regard, I am guessing that halving of the value for input into HR or WinISD is not required

The Bl, what is happening here? The SVC lists 12.946 and the DVC 21.65

https://ds18.com/cdn/shop/files/SLC...f-8f05-a002f3784bcf.pdf?v=4926154294810569013
https://ds18.com/cdn/shop/files/GEN-X124D_MANUAL_WEB_2021.pdf?v=14137871831659717444

Given the same box and tuning, they both have identical Transfer Magnitude graph in WinISD

8x SVC or 4x DVC might become the project drivers if then sim well

Well, you could always measure the driver(s) to get true specs.

For my 30 year old Coustic Power Logic HT-612, I measured the driver with DATS before creating a HR model since I could not find the T/S parameters online.

A couple of weeks ago, I thought the driver was blown and installed a JBL GX1200 into the same BP4 enclosure. The JBL is not as efficient as the CPL based on my ears.

The crossover switch on the 20 year old Hifonics American Warrior Centurion X amplifier is bad, causing the bass to cut in and out.

GM

Joined 2003
Thank you. Hey, out of interest and hope its not a stupid question

It's easier to create a given tuning with increasing volume when it comes to box to port volume. If I place two drivers in one 44L, would there be a cone balancing effect from the air suspension to force two drivers to operate at one spec? I am sure there isn't much variation between drivers within one model as any paper used is resin impregnated and tolerance seems way higher than the Dayton items that I have on hand. Just found the thought a curiosity and the idea of two woofers facing forward and two facing aft in a dual dual opposed quad setup funky
You're welcome!

If I follow, then if specs are close, including power draw, then yes, but I had a situation where two 15" prosound drivers on a baffle within the manufacturer's claimed 10% tolerance became increasingly out of sync with increasing power to the point that we could obviously see them operating at ~180 deg apart! For reasons we didn't bother to figure out it was due to thermal power distortion (heat rise) and swapped out the driver.

WRT opposed driver layouts, yes they balance out IME like an opposed engine Vs a 'V' layout, though didn't try it with the above drivers.

Estimating BL

Last edited:
Well, in this doc I posted, notice the impact BL has on Qes, Qms. ;)
GM, I can see the relationship, but not enough to be able to resolve the problem at hand. When I assume that the GEN-X12.4D data is with coils in series, all seems well in the cells that WinISD can auto calculate. Please see this screenshot. The numbers in blue, Bl, Vas, Fs are calculated by WinISD and reflect the numbers in the datasheet. This seems to say that the coils are measured in series. When compared to the SVC version of this speaker, the datasheets seems correct under this assumption. This is the best conclusion that I can come up with, but it goes against tech support saying that the data is per coil

If it can be correctly inferred that this screenshot is valid, then the GEN-X offers the performance that I am after, and I would like to secure some drivers. In other words, if the data below looks valid, then I can go ahead and follow the instructions to enter this into HR.
@BP1Fanatic. Hey man, what do you think? Does the data below appear valid according to the GEN-X124D datasheet? How do you feel about this driver in a scoop?

1719632354644.png

Well, you could always measure the driver(s) to get true specs.
Yes indeed, I can do this for the ZR12.4D in hand

And guys, let me look at this from another perspective and leave the ambiguities of datasheet aside. I am trying to wring maximum quality performance out of minimum volume. I have been taking a look from the physical properties and have reconciled to gambling on this. Would it be a bad move to go for the largest voice coil, magnet, excursion and power in a 12"

How does the ZXI12.4D that BP1Fanatic took for a spin in HR look?

Voice coil is 3"
Quad stack magnet with each plate being 1.58kg and total 6.35kg....180mm dia
32mm Xmax
1kwrms and 2kw peak

WinISD calculates a higher Bl, and low sensitivity but returns much better graphs
1719637417966.png

1719637591257.png

I think I can live with this x4 so will start by ordering developing two units for a pair of dubwoofer cabs at around 33Hz tune and a single dual opposed true sub around 23Hz tune. These can measure and compare with the ZR12.4D in hand

An interesting WinISD discovery. In the parameter's dialogue, the SPL field is a display field only. It calculates and displays here, or I can set a number here, let's say if different from the datasheet. Why a display field only? Because changing this to anything else doesn't change the graphs. Those are calculated without needing any data in that field from the user

Reactions: 1 user