DIY Class A/B Amp The "Wolverine" build thread

My wolverine is coming to the end. Still no music test, but with 1khz sine is able to produce around 150W on 8ohm. Transformes are 500w 42vac each. Dc under idle is around 58v going down to 55v at 150w.
During several tests I disconected 240v at around 100w load and one of dc protect board relay has gone. Welded contact probably. Don' engage anymore. Have to dismount some things to check. Don't like this.

Attachments

• 20240615_132451.jpg
    20240615_132451.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: 1 users
Vanilla mechanical relay are not suited for DC protection, when disconnecting a high DC current the contacts will weld. You should upgrade to Solid State Relay consisting of two back to back MOSFET's and a MOSFET-driver, there are several examples on the forum. On the other hand, you could simply avoid having DC errors, this to save the relay. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Really output transistor selection is more about your intended speaker load, power levels, and rail voltages more then anything. Another determining factor is availability and if you are willing to drill new holes in the UMS heatsink for larger outputs, or order the Modushop predrilled heatsinks for the Wolverine.

That being said there is a difference running the 2SC/2SA series vs the MJE series, and the corresponding comp. caps and resistors, with the 2SC/2SA series being the preferred choice for sure.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah I heard you bought up all BDent's stock of 4883A/1859A when they shut down (just kidding :p), And you do a valuable service to the readers here by offering spares/kits/complete builds. I'm just thinking in 5 or ten years when someone picks up some wolverine PCBs from a garage sale, or if someone just wants to order everything in one go from one shop, the only option is onsemi parts. Except maybe for that one sanken driver...

Im not certain but just looking at the data sheets, the 2SC/2SA parts generally look faster and more linear than the MJE. But data sheets and real life aren't the same thing. Curious if you have measured differences? Distortion, slew rate/bandwidth?

Reactions: 1 users