DIY Class A/B Amp The "Wolverine" build thread

You are right. One bord will be facing down. But we make adjustments whilst boards&heatsinks on the bench?
You could need to furtherly adjust DC offset and bias once the amp is closed. It could heat up differently from boards laying down on the bench... But nevertheless, I did as you're doing when built the Honey Badger and it has been working flawlessly for more than one year.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Just a recommendation but when you guys are setting the bias dc offset etc on the bench before installing in a case do not lie them down flat, stand the heatsink upright, it makes a huge difference.

Attachments

• PXL_20221202_200247972.jpg
    PXL_20221202_200247972.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 180
Reactions: 5 users
One mistake I made is the assumption ebay 60/40 solder will be any good. It gave me more trouble than I anticipated. I have almost completely soldered input boards using it- to realise I was making a mistake. Ordered proper quality 100% leaded solder- day and night difference!

Actually 60/40, Sn60/Pb40, 60% Tin/40% Lead (al the same thing) is the right one, providing it has flux cores, the melting point is approximately 188 Celsius. While 100% lead solder has a melting point of 327 Celsius, and is unsuitable for PCB soldering.

Just a recommendation but when you guys are setting the bias dc offset etc on the bench before installing in a case do not lie them down flat, stand the heatsink upright, it makes a huge difference.

I wonder if you have tried seeing the response of the amplifier to offset and maintaining the temperature and quiescent current in the heatsink with the transistors up and then down. I believe that would be of interest to many here as far as placing the boards inside the box.
Αll your findings and those of our team have helped a lot in the construction of the amplifier.....the most complete presentation I've seen in a long time.
BR Nikos

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I wonder if you have tried seeing the response of the amplifier to offset and maintaining the temperature and quiescent current in the heatsink with the transistors up and then down. I believe that would be of interest to many here as far as placing the boards inside the box.
Αll your findings and those of our team have helped a lot in the construction of the amplifier.....the most complete presentation I've seen in a long time.
BR Nikos
I have. I've set them up on the bench and noticed no real change if they are inverted or not. Also the completed chassis I have show no issues in either orientation. There is nothing to worry about. The heatsink is such a large mass it does a great job of dispersing the heat.

Reactions: 4 users
@voxxonline ; which soft start and spkr protection boards are you getting?
Soft as a feather from xrk. And his speaker protection. I ordered pcbs from Matk Johnson first, which is arguably the best SS circuit. But ordered one of the smaller footprint pcbs redesigned by another guy. Just because it was smaller. But lo and behold he made an error with the design and I had to either reorder anew or just buy one from xrk, as an addition to his mini gb for speaker protection. Which I did

All dressed-up and ready but nowhere to go......

EF3-3 boards (build in tandem with the EF3-4), Power Supply, Soft Start and Speaker Protection boards all done and just needs to be tested and fitted to a chassis.

Will be ordering a 4U chassis soon (work pressure has slowed my amp building down to a trickle now)

The EF3-4 amp (as per my photo's in previous posts) has been playing non-stop throughout the holidays. Room temp goes up to about 30deg C at times and the heatsink temps has not exceeded 43/44deg C (one board is fitted "upside down" to ensure that both IPS boards are close to the input connectors). I've been using both the DiyAudio Soft Start and Speaker protection boards which has worked flawlessly.

Using the Whammy pre-amp and all in all, I'm extremely happy with the amps' sound and performance. Open and clear at all volumes, tight bass and no listening fatigue.....and ….it has power!

Attachments

• EF3-3.jpg
    EF3-3.jpg
    747.8 KB · Views: 173
Reactions: 3 users
@voxxonline ; which soft start and spkr protection boards are you getting?
@Studley

I won’t use anything else besides a Neurochrome Guardian-86 for obvious reasons. For soft starts there are multiple options but I do know the Neurochrome ISS has been tested with 2kva toroids fwiw.

Best,
Anand.

Reactions: 1 user