DIY Front End 2022

Can I just say Nelson, with my boards up and running with tightly matched 2SK170BL's running at a regulated +/-20VDC supply, these sound fantastic - I expect you should have quite a lot of demand for this simple board. Once again you have achieved 110% with an elegant simple circuit - well done indeed.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,
I got a problem.
My audiobug is hungry again...
I gotta do somthing, before he transforms into the monster at the midnight of blue moon..
While awaiting and wondering how can the kit get to EU and not cost an arm and a leg...I woke up and opened the drawer for cookies. Found some 2SK170, but, ah, GR grade.
And some J310 (maybegoodenough as CCSs) Bipolars? Oh, just some BC559 critters...
So, Nelson, can I feed my audiobug with these, and get this pre to work? What currents should I aim for?
Thanks, as always :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hello,
I got a problem.
My audiobug is hungry again...
I gotta do somthing, before he transforms into the monster at the midnight of blue moon..
While awaiting and wondering how can the kit get to EU and not cost an arm and a leg...I woke up and opened the drawer for cookies. Found some 2SK170, but, ah, GR grade.
And some J310 (maybegoodenough as CCSs) Bipolars? Oh, just some BC559 critters...
So, Nelson, can I feed my audiobug with these, and get this pre to work? What currents should I aim for?
Thanks, as always :)

already answered earlier, you just need to find simple and short calculus what are Iq numbers for each specific current path of circuit

so, GR falls perfectly in, without pulling its gate skyhigh

also - there is a article Pa recently posted, specifically addressing mater of JFet current ranges, regarding Iq in circuit; pardon moi, can't remember where it is exactly, have no time to search right now

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2006
Paid Member
How about the other flavor of 2SK170, V grade? I thought I read somewhere that the performance of the jfet is diminished as it is run below its Idss. Does a a pair of Idss 11 or 12mA V grade jfets sharing 3 or 4mA perform worse than the GR or BL grades in this situation?

How about the other flavor of 2SK170, V grade? I thought I read somewhere that the performance of the jfet is diminished as it is run below its Idss. Does a a pair of Idss 11 or 12mA V grade jfets sharing 3 or 4mA perform worse than the GR or BL grades in this situation?

Quoting Mr. Juma ?
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/f5-semi-turbo-with-lateral-mosfets.209568/post-3067403
(Does not mean I share his opinion)

V-grade best save for source follower use (or if you prefer DC-B1). A waste here.

Patrick

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
if JFet is used open loop, everything matters, and 80-90% of Idss is desirable

though, my experience is - when JFet is enclosed in NFB, plenty other factors are in play, and I'm ignoring Idss/Iq ratio

in some cases shooting for specific Idss is important but that's more related to values of accompanying resistors than anything else (say when NFB is folded back to source resistor of said JFet(s))

Reactions: 1 users