DIY Front End 2022

Did you know AndrewT built a race car?
Yes, I did. It looked I believe to be a H Mod 2 stroke outboard. I don't know what engine. I saw a long distance movie shot of it climbing a hill. That was common in the states but in Scotland he could have used a 2 Stroke Motorcycle Engine.

Gurgle is showing FaceRag. I can't do FaceRag.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes, I did. It looked I believe to be a H Mod 2 stroke outboard. I don't know what engine. I saw a long distance movie shot of it climbing a hill. That was common in the states but in Scotland he could have used a 2 Stroke Motorcycle Engine.

Gurgle is showing FaceRag. I can't do FaceRag.

I guess the reason why Chaparral went with big block Chevys was because when they went to the "Texas Hill Country" to test its hill climbing prowess, they hit Houston before they noticed.

"Hill, what hill? We didn't see no stinkin' hill"....

BTW, that's an inside joke for those of us who realized that the overpass on the freeway South of Austin, on the way to the airport, is the highest point in Texas until you hit New Mexico.

Well, I guess we have now affirmed ZM... we have taken this thread off the rail track.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yeah, I've read about Jim Hall's connections into GM.

But I still think that Zanardi's crazy The Pass at the Corkscrew on the Last Lap to win the Laguna Seca GP and the 1996 CART championship was The Pass For The Ages. Better perhaps that anything Jim Clark, Ayrton Senna, Jackie Stewart, Fangio, etc.. ever, ever did.

It was so nuts, it was so preposterous, it was so, so "Brazilian" in its beauty and "bumpyness" that the race stewarts just let it go... no one got hurt. And even Bryan Herta was impressed.

We were watching live on TV. Rooting for the guy... who, btw, we had met earlier at the Long Beach GP along with Chip Ganassi and Jimmy Vasser. We have their autographed "Powered by Honda" posters on the wall.

Those were the 2nd coming of the glory days of North American Racing... when CART was on the roll.... past the Can Am days...

Laguna Seca is indeed such an awesome track... even if the Tecate and burritos are better at the Long Beach GP ( brought to you by Honda.... bye bye Toyota...)

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I was a kid when he died.... Heard the news on the radio. It was devastating for many people. He was really very well liked all over Europe.

At least we had Eddie Merckx... when men were men and raced real bicycles in real manly clothes... not the foo foo maillots they wear today. What next... Speedos? Zut Alors.

When Jim passed away many safety changes came to the sport... it had to be... too many were being killed as speeds were really picking up and the cars were tiny... remember how small those Ferrari GTs and those F1s were? Those pilottes were fearless... remember those pictures of them, sans helmet, standing by their cars smoking a Marlboro? (*) Most likely smuggled by the team to avoid the high Euro duties on tobacco. ;-)

Anyhow... back to front ends... you need more volts... simple as that. More Power... you need More Power!

Take care, BTW...

(*) You can't be a man because you don't smoke the same cigarette as me!

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Penske with his greed and Tony G with his stupidity killed it off.

You mean like the '95 Indianapolis when Honda debuted their brand new motor? It was dominating right off the bat and Scott Goodyear was leading... very late in the race the 'Vette pace car came out for a yellow and as the green came out, the pace car suddenly slowed down and Goodyear, who like the rest of the field had planned their re-start on the green, passed the 'Vette just before it exited to the pits.

So Tony George black flagged him for a stop and go penalty... but Scott ignored it and kept going and kept winning the race... making his point, that he was winning and that the Honda Motor (and CART) were gonna dominate anything Indy could field. Eventually Goodyear came in and did his stop and go, thus losing the race, but the point was made.

Naturally, everybody thought ( realized ) that Tony G has intentionally told the 'Vette to slow down so that a CART team would not win. Sabotage!

And yeah, Tony George was stupid. I blame him more for the split than anything Penske did. At least CART was very entertaining and very competitive.

Heck, remember Paul Tracy.? One year he got punted by a rookie on the next to the hairpin curve in LB. It was right in front of our grandstand... So, both cars go into the tires... and Paul jumps out of his car, throws his helmet into it (smart thing btw) and runs to the other car where he grabbed the other guy by his shoulders and lifted him out of the cockpit. Fight! Fight! You see, Paul Tracy was a Big Guy for a CART driver. So, the corner and safety workers finally got there and pulled them apart.

It was a Great Show.. and we all gave Tracy a heartwarming round of applause! He took a bow.