DIY midtweeter planar, physically curved and shaded to be used in a dipole CBT

Yup, there is no substitute for just building it and measuring.

To allow varying the magnet gap from 2.5 - 4mm when testing I'm thinking of elongating the holes slightly in the curved steel part. Then I should be able to swap the thickness of the plastic yellow edge part to change the gap.

I did some napkin math and the difference in hole placement of 2 vs 4 mm magnet gap is 0.5 mm on the outermost holes so I added 1 mm on all holes to be safe.

1-steel-top-elongated-holes.png

Reactions: 1 user
I wanted to test if the cheap rolling mill (SJ 300) I bought is strong enough to roll my 2 mm thick plates so I made a test plate:

IMG_0558.JPG IMG_0559.JPG

The real plates would have more holes so the idea is that if I can curve this plate, then I should also be able to curve the actual plates with more holes.

And as it turns out, it worked great!

IMG_0563.JPG

It worked so well I'm thinking of redesigning the speaker slightly. The plan was to make the final speaker in 8 x 20 cm segments. But one problem is how to join the segments without creating a massive weak point.

And then I realized that I don't need to segment the driver. The segmentation was just a limitation of my 3d printer since it has a 25cm3 build volume but the main strength now is from the steel and I can order 160 cm tall laser cut parts no problem. A benefit of not segmenting is that I can also add an offset to the magnets such that the gaps don't all align.

For the next tests where I want to try varying the row holes and xmax I will still order 20 cm segments but then for the final driver I would then scale upp to 160 cm tall without segments.

Next step is to determine how big the lengthwise gap between the magnets should be. I'm leaning towards 0.25 - 0.5 mm. Smaller is better of course but 0.5 mm would be easier to glue and probably good enough.

Reactions: 1 user