DIY Sony VFET Builders thread

Have folks who didn't get screws initially received them yet? If so, did you get notice that they had been shipped before they actually arrived? I've gotten a response from the help desk, but no screws, and now (after some work over the weekend) I'm getting anxious to get this thing up and running.

It does look great partially assembled and sitting on my dining room table. :)

Does not sound like they have been ordered. I got conformation of shipping from Fedex a couple of days after notifying our store about not having them. Email store and get the status from them.

Although this is the site diyAudio.com where we all mess with things to one amount or another, in my opinion, trying to improve this amplifier would be close to impossible.

I.E., don't mess with it, it’s utterly amazing.

Choosing better quality components isn't changing the construction. Adding mkps to the electrolytics in- and output coupling capacitors, etc. Should be as important as in the crossovers of a speaker, no matter how good the speaker, or amplifier is. Why wouldn't it benefit from improved component quality?

Mine is currently going through its initial bias set and burn-in. (Minus the catastrophic release of electrolyte from the output coupling caps, yay!)
The DC bias point showed a small amount of upward creep with increasing temperature. Therefore a good half hour or so would be recommended to ensure that the amp has gotten close to thermal equilibrium before finalizing the bias point adjustment.

Attachments

• VFET amp burn-in.jpg
    VFET amp burn-in.jpg
    754.1 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
A quick rant from my 'building experience' so far:

My case that shipped from Italy with FedEx is apparently already in my country, trying to clear customs. First estimate is that, on top of the $101 shipment fee, there will be an ADDITIONAL $252 dollars between taxes and handling fees. So it's turning to be an expensive chassis.

Those are the GOOD news!

The parts kit was even more expensive to ship from the US via DHL (which really makes no sense to me!, less bulk, less weight, same price of purchase as the case) at a whooping $178 for shipment, but it has not moved from Woodbridge US in 5 days.

I have no estimate date of arrival, and no other info provided. The more troubling news is that I have a second "tracking" number assigned as "Delivery by Postal provider", which claims is a tracking number for the delivery provider, "usually the local postal service".

If DHL is going to use my local mail service after charging almost $200 for shipping on this package, that is a serious problem. Not only because it's a steal, but because our local postal service went bankrupt over a year ago and they have over a year of undelivered packages!!!! which, when I paid for DHL (and that crazy amount at that), I was assuming they would handle it themselves (just like FedEx has done with the chassis).

So, at this point, I may end up with a great looking chassis with nothing to fill it in!

Ok. Rant over... I'm just very concerned here and, now, severely over budget!

I'll keep posting updates, hopefully better news than this rant. Really enjoying other people's builds and impressions.

Rafa.

Well, I'm going to have to wait a bit longer to build mine. Meanwhile I'll be living vicariously through your builds!
It's a very special thing and I want to take my time. I am going to wait until my birthday in late May and take a week off from work. It will be my diyAudio vacation! I will build my gorgeous Vfet amp with an ACP+ with it.

Happy birfday to me, Happy birfday to meeee!

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Speaker shootout!

Placement is difficult in my limited listening area, but I’m playing around, nonetheless.

The negative phase H2 is certainly interesting and subtly changes things. The sensation of immersion is quite intoxicating. It’s similar to experiencing well-placed open baffles for the first time.

With my Econowaves (Peerless 10” woofer and Selenuim D220-TI) there’s hyper intelligibility. The sense of space is like I’m in the middle of the stage or recording room with the performers around me, sometimes behind me! :p

With my microTowers (2x MarkAudio P7HD fullrange drivers, each) there is similar high-levels of detail, yet it seems like I’m the one audience member in front of the stage or recording room, receiving an intimate performance just for me. There is still the sense that “I’m there,” but less like I’m a guest lost in the room trying not to bump into anyone and more like this performance is directed toward me.

Regardless, my brain perceives this music playback as novel and very enjoyable. I’m more than happy to continue with that. :D

Attachments

• C529DBB9-3246-4F31-9F64-FE6741279239.jpg
    C529DBB9-3246-4F31-9F64-FE6741279239.jpg
    976.4 KB · Views: 363