DIY Sony VFET Builders thread

suddenly interested in learning foreign languages?

No, no, no... no more foreign languages four with two more forgotten is enough for me.

Just reading about and looking at some of your prototypes reminds me of the state of some of my own finished projects. Unless a friend or relative is interested in one of my amps, it usually stays as an open chassis (I am the model for pictures on warning labels for chassis work).

The Sony VFET amp all I one kit is a blessing in disguise.

Small update from me! Chassis 86 is at home!!!

View attachment 946784

Really happy with the number, if that matters at all! :) For me 86 was a very "rememberable" year. We went camping with the family to see the Haley comet, we were shocked with the Challenger explosion but we were together when it happened, it has apparently been the premiere of the Phantom of the Opera! :) So, very happy with that.

Some more info:
----------------------------------
Price: $259
Shipping to Ecuador: $101.24
Taxes and Customs: $55.73
Local ADDITIONAL FedEx cost for handling the package: $104.55
Total cost of ownership of Chassis in Ecuador: $520.52
----------------------------------

Now, color me impressed with the time of delivery. Both the Chassis and the Parts Kit were shipped on the 20th.

7 Days from shipping in Italy to receiving in Ecuador is BLAZINGLY FAST! Really unheard of for me, including customs process. Really happy with that, even if that "speediness" amounts to $205 dollars in total.

This is what the package did in those 7 days:

View attachment 946782

On the other extreme opposite end, we have DHL that is handling the parts! It was even more expensive to ship a much smaller and less weighty package. It also shipped on the 20th! Here's what has "happened" on those 7 days with the DHL package:

View attachment 946783

Any idea when should I start worrying? (too late, of course, but when do you think it's time to start raising flags?)

Thanks!
Rafa.

Nope. Don't worry.

If it makes you feel better, I bought quad thf 51S from Tomo in Japan, ebay had the originator tracking number and not the UPS international tracking number. So I had no idea what was going on and I just found out that UPS guy dropped them off somewhere on apr 6th never to be found. I am trying to get this resolved but $325 bucks out and most importantly no Tokins!

My kit went by DHL eCommerce -> USPS -> Canada Post.
It was sent out Apr 14 and left the US on Apr 15. It showed up on Canada Post
tracking on Apr 20 (in Montreal) and was delivered in Toronto on Apr 21.

My case took one week to arrive by Fedex.

Hopefully your waits won't be too much longer.
This is my biggest worry!! I believe I made my plea very carefully that my parcel CANNOT go through local mail service. Our local mail service went bankrupt a year ago and they have the full year of pandemic stacking there without being delivered. It is the only reason I went for a nearly $200 shipment of the parts to AVOID getting into the local system.

If this is the case, I hate to be a pessimistic, but the precios VFETS may be lost forever. If DHL e-commerce uses local service mails, what costs $200? Now I am worried! :ill:

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Rafa, my post was just to give some data on how long it took my kit to arrive via USPS and Canada Post.

I seem to recall for shipping to Canada there were at least two DHL options available.
The one I picked uses a local courier, which in my case, is Canada Post for delivery.
There was another option where DHL does the the final delivery.

Were there different DHL delivery options for Ecuador?

Thanks 6L6, i realized there is no way of flipping anything without making mirror image boards, that was beyond the scope and would have made it harder to keep track of hundreds of board pairs.

I am left with 2 extra 100 ohm resistor from the power stage bag. I attributed that to R6? being already installed. Has anyone found that as well or am I missing something?
Also I found 9 M3 screws which is weird 4+4 seem to be needed.
Not being picky just worried I am doing something wrong.

Last edited:
This is so far I am in the moment. I mounted split washers + extra shims to be sure the screws for the VFET bracket to be sure screws did not hit the "end" of the holes.

Attachments

• DSC_1020_00001.jpg
    DSC_1020_00001.jpg
    723.9 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC_1021_00001.jpg
    DSC_1021_00001.jpg
    609.9 KB · Views: 326
Thanks 6L6, i realized there is no way of flipping anything without making mirror image boards, that was beyond the scope and would have made it harder to keep track of hundreds of board pairs.

I am left with 2 extra 100 ohm resistor from the power stage bag. I attributed that to R6? being already installed. Has anyone found that as well or am I missing something?
Also I found 9 M3 screws which is weird 4+4 seem to be needed.
Not being picky just worried I am doing something wrong.

2 x 100R left over here too, I think it's R6 which does not have the asterisc in the BOM but is already mounted on the OB.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
My friend Andreas builds my V-Fet and what did he send me today....

the two FE boards differ in the implementation of R7. One board has solder points, the other not.....

So this is the proof that this amp is diyself.....

:D:D

Attachments

• Foto.JPG
    Foto.JPG
    899.1 KB · Views: 378
I'll post an image or two when I get home tonight, but just wanted to say that it was a total joy to build an amp from a kit where EVERYTHING was included already! You guys ROCK for putting together such a GREAT kit.

In contrast to my previous builds, there was no scrounging used sinks at the local flea market, no cutting, drilling, sanding, and polishing wooden panels to make the rest of the chassis, no stopping to measure part way through realizing I forgot to account for something, no carry things to the garage to cut metal (then back out into the garage to cut again), no metal drilling, no aluminum corkscrews flying everywhere, no tapping threads into the holes, no left over oily mess, no realizing that one hole is just a pinch off because the drill bit wandered despite using a punch, etc...

None of that this time around!

I just followed the article, looked at the pictures, and kept soldering! Total assembly time for me was about 6 hours spread over 4 evenings. Just have to double check the wiring one last time before applying power and adjust the pot tonight.

One tremendous "Thank You!" from me to everyone involved! It's a cute little amp, can't wait to connect some speakers!

(Yep, I had a pair of 100R resistors left over as well - I presume these were the ones that were already in the boards when they arrived.)