DIY Sony VFET Builders thread

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I am more than concerned about the all the comments about
various issues regarding this VFET offering. This is
pure and simple a GIFT from Nelson Pass. Yes there are some
rough edges BUT remember it’s a gift! Please enjoy the wonderful
thing you’ve been given rather than focus on perceived faults.
Mr. Pass has shown extraordinary kindness in offering this
amplifier to us

Joined 2006
Paid Member
All of the Hifi2000 Dissapante chassis (best stuff you can get short of being your own machinist) use high quality heat sinks, and well done panels. The rails, I have to say are not always perfect. However, they are easy to use. I try to adjust them to fit the heat sinks, which are straight, and square. As mentioned in other replies here, washers cane be used for shims in some cases. I have not needed them, so far.

Short of your own fabrication, I love these chassis, and look forward to using this modified chassis for DIY VFET round 3. Just work with the chassis, it’s really hard to find better for this application.

I re-aligned the rails on my chassis after first assembly so rails flush the heatsinks at the ends so no part of rails is above heatsinks. Then rail lowest point is in the center which then is a bit below heatsink edge. Then top and bottom plate fits nicely this way with no gaps.

:D I will cut that horrible rail ASAP !

Attachments

• CF67636C-25F6-427A-9250-1A8423DDFD7E.jpg
    CF67636C-25F6-427A-9250-1A8423DDFD7E.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 342
who doesn't

Read Lila, too?

Lila is great.
Haha, Americans not even posing but being Native (or how to call it).
How much of our Big Audio Dreams comes from that trait Pirsig describes, I wonder now?

Once, when I worked in the arts world, there was a nice epithet: 'In Europe/France you learn to make Art, in America you learn to be an Artist'. Is it sort of the same trait?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
sometimes too much thinking is prevention of just being

those rare ones, they are simply being, and even thinking is not detrimental for them

speaking of art - far from me being expert even in tiniest amount, but lately I'm finding so called Performance artist ....... well, exceptionally well learned to make money, without proper art

:clown:

Attachments

• Grunf Ita 2.jpg
    Grunf Ita 2.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 317
What's not to like? :)

Well, the problems ranged from that it didn't come personally delivered in an armoured car, braided shielding cables the size of anchor ropes, a solar collector array, with a limited edition SACD of Zen Mod singing, and a bottle of pills specifically to combat audio nervosa.

Or any combination of those.

I am just happy it came to the door FedEx (and WITHOUT the Zen Mod CD :D ).

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Fully agree with fellow DIYers above!

#69 is playing wonderful music here. The whole experience from beginning to end was fun and I feel SO grateful to all who invested their time and smarts behind the design and distribution of such a very special kit. It was a very easy build without a single hiccup.

This little amp sounds lovely. I begin to get what the fuss about these VFets is all about. Besides being totally quiet, the amp extracts details in a very natural way, meaning, while keeping a subjectively neutral tonal balance. The top end is sweet (I am testing using vinyl source). The image produced has believable depth. There is a lot to like here!

Very happy - Pierre

"Well, the problems ranged from that it didn't come personally delivered in an armoured car, braided shielding cables the size of anchor ropes, a solar collector array, with a limited edition SACD of Zen Mod singing, and a bottle of pills specifically to combat audio nervosa."

That's strange. The Pass DIY Korg came with cupids scattering rose petals down the sidewalk.

Fully agree with fellow DIYers above!

#69 is playing wonderful music here. The whole experience from beginning to end was fun and I feel SO grateful to all who invested their time and smarts behind the design and distribution of such a very special kit. It was a very easy build without a single hiccup.

This little amp sounds lovely. I begin to get what the fuss about these VFets is all about. Besides being totally quiet, the amp extracts details in a very natural way, meaning, while keeping a subjectively neutral tonal balance. The top end is sweet (I am testing using vinyl source). The image produced has believable depth. There is a lot to like here!

Very happy - Pierre

Pierre,

Thanks for sharing your initial listening impressions.

What speakers are you using with your DIY Sony VFET amp?

- Z

The shipping method for this shipment was DHL eCommerce Parcel Standard. This is an affordable service, with a decent-but-slow-and-sometimes-unpredictable service level.

Oh man, I am not exactly impressed by DHL eCommerce. I still have not received my parts. If the tracking information is right, my parts were on the road for 6 weeks, and then they have been drinking tea at the customs office for a full week now. I really hope they will make it to my door next week. Even the crap from Ali Express usually travels much faster and goes through customs in a day.