DIY Sony VFET pt 2 (N-Channel Build)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have a feeling that Nelson Pass put that double pole switch in the circuit design and on the PCB layout, because he felt it was essential. I have a feeling he carefully considered the idea "maybe I could omit the second half of the switch" and after thorough examination, decided he could not.

Yes, you can just short where the 2nd pole goes and use it - it will just
have a larger turn-off thump, but not a turn-on thump. This was simply
the simplest approach.

More sophisticated approach would add two transistors and two more
resistors...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
channel module evidently got banged - there is indent in edge of T profile, above VFet

be sure that side going on hsink is flat (no indentation and similar bruises), with prescribed screws there is no torque force to overcome even slightest deformation of surface

not likely the case, but worth saying

…I've reversed the FE board mounting and opted for just two stand-offs rather than loop the various connections…
I did this exact same thing on my P version with the FE. Everything felt more natural, no wires crossing from front to back and back to front of the board. Shorter input path. But putting the third screw was really hard, and, after some tests, not needed.

Looking forward to your pics.

Regards,
Rafa.

HI Nelson there is an error on pcb board the R1 is after the C1

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2021-08-12 10-50-16.png
    Screenshot at 2021-08-12 10-50-16.png
    108.2 KB · Views: 364
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Yes, board and schematic do differ. But I think the way it is implemented on the PCB makes more sense - capacitor C1 as first element in the signal path, and R1 being able to function as gate stopper, connected directly to the gates of the JFETs.

Best regards, Claas

Last edited: