DIY Sony VFET pt 2 (N-Channel Build)

I like the Bulwark design so far. I'm experimenting with a adding little extra (3 dB) gain. I intend to match the Bulwark overall gain with that of the Dreadnought boards that I built. There is a remarkable difference between the Dreadnought and the Bulwark signatures. I'm sure that the Edcor is the major component responsible.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
(Reply to Ylab #110 : )

I used a cap rated 35V. In steady-state, I measured a drop of around 9V through R4 (equaling current through the JFETs of approx. 9 mA), so the cap should see something like (36V-9V) / 2 = 13-14V.
It was hard for me to imagine a fault mechanism that would put the full 36V across the cap (Q1 shorted and at the same time, Q2 infinite resistance). Even at start-up, it should not see the full 36V, and if, only very briefly.

So I figured a 35V cap would be safe at this particular position. :)

Regards, Claas

Last edited:
I used a cap rated 35V. In steady-state, I measured a drop of around 9V through R4 (equaling current through the JFETs of approx. 9 mA), so the cap should see something like (36V-9V) / 2 = 13-14V.
It was hard for me to imagine a fault mechanism that would put the full 36V across the cap (Q1 shorted and at the same time, Q2 infinite resistance). Even at start-up, it should not see the full 36V, and if, only very briefly.

So I figured a 35V cap would be safe at this particular position. :)

Regards, Claas

Great thank you for the explanation!

Hubert

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Working?

Anybody has finished the build and listens to music? My output stage insists in "non-working", I bridged the input, but the result stays the same, low level, heavy distorted.
They get quite hot, as expected, the voltage between ground and drain of IRF250 is adjusted to 14V. I have to check the cabeling again?

Attachments

• IMG_20210813_114116.jpg
    IMG_20210813_114116.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 424
Joined 2016
Paid Member
No. 176 lives ...

... and is making sweet music :)
Sweet, clear, 3D, goosebump-inducing, detailed, very engaging, ... some maybe somewhat contradictory terms, but it's not easy to get my head around the music from this amp. Really nice.
It also seems to be doing quite well on complex music, at least on my 100dB/W Fostex widebanders. Have not been able to compare, it's way too early, need to become more familiar with it.

Regards, Claas
... and now, please excuse me, I must listen to some music ... :D

Attachments

• VFET 176 frontends.jpg
    VFET 176 frontends.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 431
  • VFET 176 complete from above.jpg
    VFET 176 complete from above.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 416
  • VFET 176 in system.jpg
    VFET 176 in system.jpg
    751.5 KB · Views: 403
Nice to have first confirmation of operation in the field.....

:cheers:

AKA The Sh8 works!

Thanks Pop, really, this is very cool. There are a lot of great people in the industry, but I know of no other top dog who tends his flock
so studiously. You are a great sheepdog, though you look like less of one now oh cold chinned one. :eek:

JT

Last edited: