DIY Video Projector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this is where I could use some electronics help. Vince, I bought the same powers upply you did for leds. It's 12v 47 watt. I bought a big halogen car high beam. It's 12 volt, 50 watt. I hooked it up to the power supply and can get light, but it's not bright at all. I'm sure I don't know how to hook it up correctly. Anyone?

Great work dwalls32, now we know it really works!

btw, I just read Popular Mechanics, Oct 2001 issued,
page 117, an ad about flashlight using 4 led's.
They said its beam can be seen from a mile away.
maybe this type of led could work for our project.

Myren,
there was someone who did the same way (ohp and lcd monitor):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69517&highlight=OHP

to cooling down lcd panel,
I saw product demo before, about clear laminated sheet (V-KOOL ?),
They laminate a piece of glass and beamed with very hot lamp
(it'll fry your hand in second), but behind the glass you can't
feel any heat!

dwalls32,
you can't use that power supply, its defenetely not enough power.
rule of thumb you should double the power needed.
why don't you use 12 volt car battery just for trying, before you find the right power supply. (cheap OHP trafo can be use for it)
Don't forget using reflector behind the lamp, its really important to beamed the light.
maybe worth to try 150 watt Xenon bulb type, it's real white light.

I'm slightly annoyed that I couldnt find any 1280x1024 res 15 inch LCD's, so I'm probably just going to go out and buy a 1/2 decent 1024x768 LCD. I plan on getting a really good (~7000 lumen) OHP to go with it. Probably get the thing assembled Thanksgiving. Will return with results then.

Myren

I checked, double checked then triple checked the lights life. 1000 hours. Thats four months assuming I manage to somehow spend 8 hours in front of the thing a day.

I'm issuing a standing order now to hunt me down and shoot me if I use it for more than 7 hours a day on average.

LCD displays

Something to watch out for with desktop lcd panels is that the control board tends to be directly mounted onto the back of the screen as it uses touch contacts, Maybe it would be possible to solder wires between the contacts but on the taxan screen i got it apart enough to try apart

thats actually my greatest fear, having an lcd GLUED to a backlight GLUED to a contact attached circuit board.

I dont suppose anyone happens to know working LCD's that have seperable relatively seperable LCD units?

I think I'm getting a viewsonic vg150. I hope the SOB will open up for me. =] If anyone has one, please please please please <b>please</b> do me a HUGE favor and just unscrew the back of it and gimme a basic status report.

[Edited by Myren on 11-04-2001 at 10:54 PM]

Status
Not open for further replies.