DIY Walsh driver revisited

Follow-up:

I would also recommend sticking with Aluminum or Titanium for your material. These are proven and work well. Stiffness and density are very important. The material may have no strength while laying on the table in sheet form, but made into a cone or cylinder and it gets pretty stiff.

Mags is also on the right track with Carbon Fiber, but this is pretty complicated for the average person and has somewhat of a learning curve. At least it did for us.

Graphene is also a very, very interesting material for this application.

Best
Dale

I like the thought of carbon fiber as you never have to worry about wrinkles in the material.

I've been....'away'...

...but for a Good Reason. The 'bear of a job' (inside joke) is Done, and spouse and self took a couple of days off on a 'mini-vaca' in the Smokies. Slept in, ate good, road toured, 'leaf peeped', and generally ignored 'normal' life...

Ended up in a bar on Halloween, trying to come up with what should follow:

"Four Minions walk into a bar..." (My brain wasn't responding properly at the time, so for once I was somewhat speechless....;) *L*)

Yes...Gary, 1 mil was what I had in mind, 2 mil max. Titanium as thin as possible or available, Dale. 5 mil is what I have a plethora of, so for a prototype I'll use it just for 'proof of concept'. And carbon fibre could also be used as David points out...some of the cf 'veil' that Gary sent me a sample of eons ago, 'stiffened' properly, could be used as well...

Graphene would be the 'killer app', for sure. Availability, well....we'll just have to be patient and wait for someone to make too much of something suitable for 'our application'. And I suspect that, even then, the price of 'graphene tissue' might still be a mite daunting. Pray for a 'screw-up in the right direction'.... ;)

Dale, agreed a small vc wouldn't cut it. Ultimately, I'd opt for a driver I've found at PE that fits what I've been looking for. 1" dia., vented, kapton former, 100 RMS, an instrument 6.5" PA driver meant for high temps and general abuse. Since the cone gets replaced anyway, I'm just looking for a 'motor' for the 'vehicle', so to speak...

The same 'mechanical specs' hold for the 'tweeter' variant I'm playing with. Something made to withstand abuse of the vc, which is why I've been nosing about musical PA drivers. Made to play loud and long; I can work on 'nuance' later, after I can formulate Something that won't blow up...

And Yes, using a former, surrounds (materials subject to change), all that. "Practical magic." Subject to DIY Deviancy. *G*

One thing that finally struck me was to put a VOM to the current drivers. 2.7~2.8 ohms (I don't own a VTVM, but another forum poster elsewhere suggested that at least it's a rough rule of thumb). It does explain why they'll play as loudly as they do of late without 'warming up' and going 'foom' (yet). The amp hasn't complained yet. And eq'd their response compares favorably to the monitors I have in another room (note I say 'favorably'...not perfectly). I will admit that one will always have a tendency to ignore the faults of one's progeny, and lacking any access to another pair of 'educated ears' to compare notes with makes any bias on my part subject to any and all comments on 'subjectivity' and perhaps a lack of....

...and 4 of them, as GP uses in their larger arrays...

...and I FINALLY hooked up the calibrated mic to the Behringer eq, just (again) to 'see' what was going on 'within the field'...and I turn the sub down...

It's nearly flat. And loud enough...for junk. And 5 mil cones.

But, y'all are Right. There's certainly room for improvement. Here's to that quest. *S*

I'm just curious at this point if a 'windowed cone' will work, and what it'll exhibit. If I can 'start' the windows high enough on the cones' apex, just below the attachment to the vc...end the windows low enough to allow for attachment to the surround...waveforms should still transmit to a thinner window material. Damping at the surround level should still occur. The verticals should allow pistonic motion without distorting the windows, however thin the window material may be...

It likely will exhibit resonance(s), but it'll be interesting to contrast them with what I currently notice. Educational play....*G*

But I'm running off @ the keys, yet again...*L*

And we've got another project that needs to install before Thanksgiving, so this may be one of Albert E's 'thought experiments' for a little while as yet.
If y'all want to chime in and tell me how wrong-headed I am, please feel free. *L* I like 'nattering nabobs of negativity', to quote someone I didn't agree with on anything else...*smirk*

*G* Almost haiku, there, Gar.... ;) Poetry in motion? Emotive electrophysics?

Howsowhatever...ordered a new Kenwood for the truck & 4 Rockford Fosgates 5.25's for it to push around. Horribly tempted to cut them up, but spouse would not understand nor tolerate such deviant behaviour. And it'll be nice to replace the factory tuner/cassette unit. Next non-Walsh project: mount a back-up camera on the Bobcat. It'll be handy in the close quarters we find ourselves in too often. The lift arms on it would shear off any attempt at rear-view mirrors, so we'll just tech it up a tad.

One thing that Dale's comment on mandrels has sunk into a calcified mind is a desire, nay Need, for a larger mandrel for forming. Actually, a version that would act like a sheet metal roller would be the ticket. It wouldn't need to be anything insanely massive or beefy, since I'd be only rolling foils. And it could eliminate most of the 'spring back' that materials exhibit on shaping. Something to investigate, that...

Well, that was stupidly quick to drill down...it's called a slip roller. Here's a quick look at something that does the deed, but still a bit large on minimum diameters that can be formed with it. But it points the way...

Harvey Racing Engines - Fuel Injection Forums

Northern Tool has one that can go down to 1" dia.; more bucks and still larger than needed, but the pdf of it has an exploded diagram of it's parts which gives a clue as to how one might 'fake it' to make a dinky version for foils. The rollers just have to be scaled down to not much more than shafts. Potentially eliminating the need for a mandrel, except for assembly purposes.

A 'slip roller' Ay? A friend of mine worked for a 'tube-rolling' Co.- helped to brain-fart such an idea trying to form a cone a while back...holding the shape with one hand, gluing with the other, rolling with with [the other hand], and clamping with [the other hand] :zombie:

I ended up using two pensils...worked 'OK'

Shoot me a-link, I'd be interested in toying with it :mail:

Oh, sorry 'bout' the (lame) attempt at 'poetry' :Pinoc:
Had yesterday off-work...nothing else to do

Hey, be not sorry about the attempt...everything and anything starts with those. And all learning and experience builds from there. *G* Pivotal for what we're doing then, now, and beyond. And so it goes...;)

Sure, will link you to what I dredged up. I've used a plaster (cast) and a foam (used for floral arrangements) cone mandrels, but 'spring back' of the aluminum has put stress onto the seam that I'd like to eliminate. Rolling seems to minimize that, which would be a boon even with thinner thicknesses. I suspect there's some gremlins lurking within that process, but I'm willing to trade the devil I know for one I don't. *G*

It just occurred to me that the rollers from a defunct printer might be useful. It'll also have the gearing and bearings that could be salvaged and 'repurposed', as is said.

Might have to go to Goodwill or Salvage Army to see what's laying about. Habitat doesn't take 'puters or peripherals...doesn't have the time or staff to see if they work properly. TV's, stereo's are easy to check.