DIYA store "Wolverine" (Son of Badger) .... suggestions ??

Youtube video not selling it

I hope you all enjoy the preview.

Ok the music selection played was not my cup of tea. The room apears to have reflective surfaces and had an unconventional set up with the midrange and tweeters on the floor and the bass stacked on top. It sounded terribly strained and harsh. At least though my headphones I could not get much for bass or lower midrange. Not sure if volume was so loud to push microphone or speakers to their limits or if it is just limitation of cell phone video. I don't claim golden ears but that video was hard to tolerate

It runs about as warm as you would expect from an amp making excellent power. A lot of thermal imaging was done to verify that the components were operating within expectations. I have pushed the amp very hard during load tests and the output heat sink only got to 40C. With a fan I could run hard for as long as I wanted without it getting hot. The same can be said for the board components. The heat sinks are sized appropriately and have proven to do the job well. Here's some images....

9k=

2Q==

Ok the music selection played was not my cup of tea. The room apears to have reflective surfaces and had an unconventional set up with the midrange and tweeters on the floor and the bass stacked on top. It sounded terribly strained and harsh. At least though my headphones I could not get much for bass or lower midrange. Not sure if volume was so loud to push microphone or speakers to their limits or if it is just limitation of cell phone video. I don't claim golden ears but that video was hard to tolerate

This is not meant to be a sales brief for the amp and TBH
I wish there was a video like this for every amp made on this site! This effort should be praised and encouraged
Yes, there should be a rug on the floor but the refined listener should be able to pick up on the clean, dynamic reproduction of the singer high notes which sounds quite distortion-free 2me. Any harshness is in the speakers. There is something wrong with the microphone too as the level keeps fluctuating.
The potential is there with a proper setup, electrostatic speakers or something large this thing is gonna sing. That's good enough for me.:)

No insult intended

The first speaker I use to screen a new amp build is a 2 inch speaker harvested from a 1960 $10 transistor radio mounted on a cardboard box. Does it sound good?Absolutely not. I then move up to a 1985 computer monitor speaker. Sounds less dreadful, sort of.... I'm not going to hook up anything reasonably good untill I see stability and offset that is reasonable and stable. I understand testing is not done with best gear, often in basements, garages, and places where spouses let us make a mess. But just don't tell me this amp is wonderful based on this demo. His other demos had better music selections, more reasonable volumes but same sound issues. I am very happy to see populated boards holding the smoke in and making any noise. Again no insult intended to our Greek pioneer builder, your posts are appreciated.

No worries. :) I don't think the word 'wonderful' was used anywhere in my post BUT hints of certain qualities of the amp are identifiable. These videos are a pain to make and I can always get something out of them. More power to the people that make them! On YT I heard HORRIBLE reproduction from speakers that should sound amazing. I remember some guy had $10k worth of TAD drivers that sounded horrific. This one wasn't that bad by comparison and you could see why.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Project Update

Hi All,

I just wanted to update everyone who is subscribed to this thread on the progress of the wolverine son of badger project. Over the past few months the team has been very busy testing the prototype 2 PCB.

We currently have 6 working boards and each one of them has had slightly different components installed. This has enabled us to test, refine and measure many different combinations of components.

At this stage the whole team is very happy with the results of this details testing process. I would personally like to thank the Team members (Keantoken, Jeremy, Harry, Neil, Thimios, JT, John and Brett who have been working on this project basically every day and put in many, many hours to make this amplifier as best that it can be.

If the initial THD numbers are anything to go off, the project is certainly meeting its original design goals.

Taking all that we have learnt, Prototype 3 has been completed and we are currently in the process of checking it before we will have a small number manufactured. Once those boards arrive and we find time to once again build and test a few to ensure they are Final we will ask the other forum members for an expression of interest so we can get some numbers together for an initial run of PCB’s for fellow members.

From the prototyping prossedure.
Picture No.2 Sound card loop test.
Picture No.3 Amplifier THD at 28v RMS under 8ohm dummy load.

Attachments

• IMG_20211120_194519.jpg
    IMG_20211120_194519.jpg
    844.2 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_20211105_190854.jpg
    IMG_20211105_190854.jpg
    812.7 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_20211112_132846.jpg
    IMG_20211112_132846.jpg
    895.3 KB · Views: 543
Last edited: