efficient SPL tops DIY

I’m sorry for not realizing the application earlier. You basically look for a love parade truck PA. Forget those tiny automobile mids, only PA will do here. Get some Mackie tops or as others have recommended Behringer. I see no reason why you want to go the DIY route here. How much space you got and what is the budget? What is the size of the diesel generator. Is this a one off or are you going to rent out the system for future trucks graduates yearly? Who will operate it?

Edit: I see you found Fane fullranges. I have 4x15 and 2x12 of those. I can recommend them but make sure you highpass them and add a sub. Plenty of guys use the 12” around here just search. But you already have the tweeters so why bother with full ranges. You could buy 3 more of your current 12”. That is if you’re sure you wanna go the DIY route with this. Depends fully on the questions above this edit.

Last edited:
I was looking at some used mackie thump 12a, but then i read lots of negative reviews on them so i don’t know about those, they seem to break a lot haha

Reason for diy is that it should be cheaper. I have built 5kw car audio, hifi 3-way transmissionline and a portable one so i’m used to it

My generator is only 2.2kw but hopefully i Will be able to run my 1200wrms subs out of that one and get another one for my tops

Yea i Will rent it out afterwards. Got a bunch of relatives graduating the following years. And also i really want a tapped horn, i have wanted one for 2-3 years. I Will not operate it, that’s why i think either a single 4x12” box with a single speakon cable would be good, or 2 boxes with 16x6.5”. The behringer speaker is harder to stack since it is not square

Due to prices of wood in Sweden I doubt you will be able to save much money on DIY but the quality could be better or more tailor made. 2x2x12 of those Fane will at least save power from the generator as they are really sensitive.

Here is my 15”, you could make something smaller with the 12s.
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/fane-2x15-fullrange-cab.326332/post-5853917

If space is less a problem you could try make 4x Karlson boxes for the Fanes. That would stack up nicely.

You’re probably right. But there is something off with this. If it was the case that you can just add up drivers to increase sensitivity why doesn’t everybody just do this? I think there’s a backside neither of us think of now. The same current and voltage from the amp is devided across all the drivers meaning that you actually only increase power handling as I see it. Assuming the system ohm is the same. Who knows, some could probably enlighten this. In any case you should aim for 8 ohm system impedance if you plan to use PA amps.

I find the Fane drivers pretty good. The 15” being my favorite because it sounds live, large and punchy. The 12” is a bit bright compared. Both need some eqing down some screaming treble. Beware it’s xmax they can’t take much deep bass so ensure high pass.

GM,
the sensitivity is the same for serial/paralell when looking at 1w
but differ 6db at 2.83v. that is because the impedance is 4 times higher for the serial. still though, the sensitivity of every watt produced is higher when doubling the number of speakers

P=V^2/R
so, impedance increases, which gives lower wattage - not lower efficiency.

impedance ONLY affects how much wattage the amp can deliver (although higher impedance is easier to control for the amp)

fabricadetabaco,

" If it was the case that you can just add up drivers to increase sensitivity why doesn’t everybody just do this?"
well, have you ever thought about how many speakers are used at concerts? downside is it's expensive and take lots of space, and is sometimes overkill. a single 1600wrms 18" woofer would be as loud as two 400wrms 18" woofers, but why carry two heavy boxes when you can carry one if you have enough power from the wall outlet?

here are two speakers using the same driver, 1 and 2 driver versions:

https://www.thomann.de/se/behringer_vp_2520.htm
https://www.thomann.de/se/behringer_vp1520.htm
one of them is rated 2db higher sensitivity, although i bet it would have been 3 if it wasn't for the crossover/tweeter

Last edited:
Something doesn’t add up here.

Yes there are many speakers on concerts but I believe there is just as many amps, I do not think it is common to parallel-serial connect 4, 16, 64 drivers etc (to maintain 8 ohm these are your options) to one amp. I don’t know for sure.

When you look at those behringer examples you see that the single 15” is 8 ohm and the dual 15 is 4 ohm. Slightly higher sensitivity but also deeper bass and more power handling, most likely a 2,5 way.

The way I see it two laws apply
U=RxI
P=UxI

If you connect 4 drivers in serial-parallel you maintain 8 ohm from the amp hence same voltage, current and power; but the following will happen at the driver side.
The current will be divided in half for the parallel circuit and the voltage will be divided in half for the serial circuit leaving each driver with 1/4 of the power given the same gain from the amp.
1/4 of the power results in -6dB per driver. But as there is 4 drivers you would have +6dB. Sum will be 0dB. Same system sensitivity as one driver but quadruple power handling.
Maybe someone can confirm this.

fabric,
yes, it's 4 ohm. so what? it does not matter. what matter is that your amp can drive them. my point was, 2 drivers= more sensitivity

your formula is wrong, i give the correct one for you:
P=U*I

"If you connect 4 drivers in serial-parallel you maintain 8 ohm from the amp hence same voltage, current and power; but the following will happen at the driver side.
The current will be divided in half for the parallel circuit and the voltage will be divided in half for the serial circuit leaving each driver with 1/4 of the power given the same gain from the amp.
1/4 of the power results in -6dB per driver. But as there is 4 drivers you would have +6dB. Sum will be 0dB. Same system sensitivity as one driver but quadruple power handling.
Maybe someone can confirm this."

let me put it this way for you.

you have 1 speaker, 8 ohm on one channel. you connect 3 more on 3 other channels.

now, you have 4 times more power. - you gain +6db from the increase in power.
you have also increased number of driver. - you gain +6db from the increase in cone area.

voila. now you have +12db. you gained 6db for doubling the cone area

----------------------------------------------------------

if 1 driver has 100w

and 4 drivers has 100 w (400w total) each. then you would end up with +12db compared to a single driver, according to your own example, correct?
then, to have the same spl as previously with one driver, you would need to adjust your power with -12db from 400w. correct?

that is:

400W/16=25W total power!!

hence, sensitivity increased by 6db

Last edited: