Exploring Purifi Woofer Speaker Builds

Wow - post more details please.

Box is 14L tuned at 36Hz. Ribbon is crossed at 1550Hz. For ribbon impedance match, amorphous core is used. Same as RAAL use.
On photo you can see back side.
This ribbon is ideal for open baffle system.

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 666
Paul, which small or big one? In any case you need CNC machine to cut aluminium.

As for myself, I'm more interested in the smaller one, the tweeter. Would love to see a thread on the details of exactly how you designed and built it. Such as magnet sourcing. How you precisely cut the foil without damaging it, where did you get the amorphous core transformers which RAAL uses, etc, etc.. Even though you used CNC cutting of the frame, please consider doing a read, thanks.

I'm really interested in trying to make the smaller ribbon too, though both those speaker designs are just beautiful.

Since there's no DC on the core, I wonder about winding a toroidal nanocrystaline core, that are more widely available now. So detail such as turns ratio would be great too

As for myself, I'm more interested in the smaller one, the tweeter. Would love to see a thread on the details of exactly how you designed and built it. Such as magnet sourcing. How you precisely cut the foil without damaging it, where did you get the amorphous core transformers which RAAL uses, etc, etc.. Even though you used CNC cutting of the frame, please consider doing a read, thanks.

all magnets,cores and foil are sourced from China directly from factory. For small quantity problem is shipping because is too expensive. . Cutting foil is little complicate but not impossible. Just finished new more robust design. I will open new thread for all who are interested to buy finished ribbon.

Forgive my limited knowledge of the topic but wouldn't efficiency have to be taken into account as well? In other words, an inefficient driver like the Purifi would be fed more current to match the SPL output and the increase in current would increase acceleration.

Yep - also more likely to need more current to 'open up' by that I understand, so the Purifi drivers might not fully come to life at lower volumes (I'm assuming based on my limited knowledge).

I’ll leave you to look up those, I was just interested in comparing acceleration factions, obviously there are a range of drivers here.
My point is, you have to define acceleration factor first, because it's certainly not how "fast" a driver reacts, acoustically anyhow, based on a given voltage.

Basically, you put some volts into the driver, the voice coil needs a current to create a magnetic field opposing the static field from the motor. That current is proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the impedance. Now that you have your current, which determines your force (with BL) and now you can determine the acceleration of the cone. But the acceleration of the voice coil by itself doesn't mean much - you need surface area to create sound. The more area you have, the more sound you get. No surface area = doesn't matter how "fast" the coil can swing.

Last edited:
How about this?

I was interested in the earlier comment about the PHL1220, am also thinking that a trio of drivers (like, say, three Illuminator mid ranges on the Beolab 90) is also a very interesting way to go.

I'm also trying to work out what drivers may sound the most 'open' although lots of factors affect this.

My method of comparison may well be wrong?

Attachments

• Acceleration v2.jpg
    Acceleration v2.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 641
Hi,

I am considering a two way build with purifi ptt6 and fusion amp plate (the remaining budget will decide the tweeter but probably Sba with 3dptinted WG). I probably have not read the entire post so sorry if my question has already been asked. I am trying to identify all of the passive radiator which could fit this driver and give inspiration. For the moment, I have seen:
- pair of matching purifi PR (hifi compass Puri Bliss on each side, March Audio Sointuva both on rear)
- pair of Sba SB15SFCR on each side (build post here)
- single Sba SB15SFCR (Selah audio purezza)
- unidentified (Joachim Gerhard surveyor)

Have you got other suggestion ? Aestheticly I would prefer a single PR on the rear but Hificompass gives technical good points in favor of one PR per side so I am open.
Finally if you have good readings (link) about passive radiator guidelines (choice, position, mass adjustment, etc...).

Thanks !