Exploring Purifi Woofer Speaker Builds

You can do it at home Norman with your PTT6.5

load up REW and send a 10Hz low level sine tone overnight to run in your woofers and then forget to turn it off the next day. But proceed to play music.

#Ask me how I know 🤦🏻‍♂️
Good to know the factory does adequate break in during R&D phase. :cool: soon I will be sharing my own woofer abuse story...another day....

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Nice cabinets. Can Jern design a crossover? Got good ears and/or play a musical instrument? Skills of persuasion/marketing? Predict future trends/Futurologist?

The game has so many complementary parts to "crack it" and convince people they need it before they need it, it's ideal to be polymath.
#SteveJobs #LaurenceDickie

In practice that is available also with two external system amplifier options:
1) FourAudio PPA (with linear-phase FIR XO and IIR XO presets)
2) Streaming amplifier supporting:
  • Google ChromeCast
  • Apple AirPlay 2
  • Spotify Connect and Spotify Hi-Fi
  • DLNA
  • Bluetooth
  • HDMI(ARC) input, supporting 2-channel PCM audio from TV.
  • AUX 3.5 mm combined optical/analog input. Optical input supports audio resolutions up to 192 kHz/24 bits.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Oh finally a website with some details!

I sent an email to Taipuu in March 2021 asking to buy one. But received no response. Maybe us fellows down under don't get much attention...

1653552305767.png

Silver lining?- I had to build my own.

I bet your design is a stunner Kimmo. Better than the KEF LS60...

But received no response. Maybe us fellows down under don't get much attention...
It's probably something else. Getting response to e-mail can be hard also for a small company as a customer. For example, about a year ago we were interested in IcePower OEM amplifiers for own system amplifier. I wrote proper e-mail including name, company's information; name, address, vat number, what we're manufacturing, estimated order quantities and so on. No answer. Possibly hasty conclusion was that we're too small and insignificant manufacturer to get their attention. Next try may happen soon. Chances are even worse if e-mail looks like a spam from a robot; without actual name and address, but nothing is guaranteed with full contact information.
My designs can be moved to other company (manufacturing and selling actual speakers already) with different brand name if common services such as maintained home site and answering commercial requests can't be provided.
Silver lining?- I had to build my own.
That's the best possible decision in DIY.
I bet your design is a stunner Kimmo. Better than the KEF LS60...
Impossible know without listening, but probably yes if 60 is not significantly better than 50 which sounds quite toy. Personally I don't understand why they want to build "fake Blade". Blade concept prioritizes diffraction handling over smoothness of directivity at upper bass...low mid. That won't be realized very well in LS60.

Hi Lars or anyone else,

I just ordered the 8" Purifi. I can't wait to try it out.

It would be installed as midbass drivers in infinite baffle configuration in a car. The front of the driver faces inside the car cabinet, while the back side of the driver faces outside the car cabinet.

Most people would recommended a higher QTS driver for IB configuration. In my car I would target the 8" midbass driver within a very narrow range, with a high pass around 40hz and a low pass around 180-200hz (LR24 for both HP and LP). I have big suck-out cancellations in my car at around 180hz for the midbass location (no driver will fix this), and that's why it would be crossed over around there and let a 4" midrange driver play above that.

I've modeled both the Purifi 8" versus a very high QTS driver (Focal Utopia 8WM, QTS ~0.9 and Fs around 50hz) and it's interesting to see the FR charts and excursion over frequency charts. It seems like a high QTS driver would have a bump in the key midbass area where music "kicks" 80-110hz, whereas the lower QTS lower Fs driver (Purifi) would have less steep of a roll off and thus deeper extension down low, but with less output around 100hz +/- half an octave.

1) Do you agree with my assessment?
2) Would the Purifi 8" work better in a sealed box?
3) Looking at the Purifi excursion between 80-120hz, it's basically barely using any and very far below Xmax. Can I just boost/EQ a lot in the 80-120hz region (I have enough power and headroom in my amps) to make up for comparably less output versus say the high QTS driver?

Thanks!!
Isaac

Hi Isaac,

Thank you and happy building and listening!

I am not well experienced in car audio but here are my 2 cents:

1) the excursion to SPL (inside the car) ratio(or transfer funciton if you will) is independent of Qts and fs - an 8" needs a given excursion to reach a given SPL at a given frequency. Qts and fs only chnages how much voltage is needed for a given SPL and Qts only affects this in a range above and below fs (which is 26Hz for the PTT8). Nowadays we have DSP's to EQ SPL to any desired target. The question about Qts is then more about voltage headroom in the amp since the voltage to SPL response droops down towards fs when Qts is low so you need more voltage to compensate. However, the impedance is very high at fs so the power is very low around fs (the system is extremely efficient around resoance)

2) conventional modelling assumes that your speaker box is placed in a free infinite space. This is not the case in a car where you listen 'inside the box' where the cabin is the box. If the car cabin is completely air tight then an IB or sealed box woofer goes flat down to 0 Hz in theory beacuse a constant excursion gives constant pressure in the 'chamber' - this is not shown in the usual freespace models. In this respect, a car has an advantage since it is easier to to bass pressure in the small cabin volume compared to a big room (like it takes less air to pump a bicycle tire than a car tire)

3) if you high pass at 40Hz then there is really no issue at all since you are well above fs - you can EQ to the desired response. you should of course look carefully at when you hit xmax but the 40Hz high pass helps here.

4) a Qts=1 driver has a hump in the FR just over fs so this is probably what you see in the model goping to higher Qts and you get a peak at fs. low Qts gives a soft roll off. Qts=0.5 is 6 dB down at fs. Again this is in free air and this can be different when driving the car cabin.

cheers, Lars

Reactions: 1 user
Continuing posting some Purifi design wins that emerged at High End 2022 Munich show here is the Violetta open baffle design by Kroma Atelier.

https://kromaatelier.com/violeta/

Kroma Violetta at High End 2022.jpeg

Cropping in on this photo originally posted to monoandstereo.com event coverage clearly shows a PTT6.5’s unique surround.

Kroma Violetta at High End 2022 zoomed.jpeg

Interesting turned wood magnet covers. We will all have opinions of how such effect the sound, looks nice given the back of the drivers are left visible. The baffle is a manmade material they call “Krion”.

Throughout this threads presently 79 pages an FAQ asked/proposed about once every six pages is “what about Purifi drivers in open baffle applications?” Apparently Kroma Atelier likes them for open baffle mid-woofers. Not surprised they went with a pair of 12” for the woofers. In open baffle systems the old hot rodding truism applies “there’s no replacement for displacement”, or in this case square CMs of Sd.

Hi Isaac,

Thank you and happy building and listening!

I am not well experienced in car audio but here are my 2 cents:

1) the excursion to SPL (inside the car) ratio(or transfer funciton if you will) is independent of Qts and fs - an 8" needs a given excursion to reach a given SPL at a given frequency. Qts and fs only chnages how much voltage is needed for a given SPL and Qts only affects this in a range above and below fs (which is 26Hz for the PTT8). Nowadays we have DSP's to EQ SPL to any desired target. The question about Qts is then more about voltage headroom in the amp since the voltage to SPL response droops down towards fs when Qts is low so you need more voltage to compensate. However, the impedance is very high at fs so the power is very low around fs (the system is extremely efficient around resoance)

2) conventional modelling assumes that your speaker box is placed in a free infinite space. This is not the case in a car where you listen 'inside the box' where the cabin is the box. If the car cabin is completely air tight then an IB or sealed box woofer goes flat down to 0 Hz in theory beacuse a constant excursion gives constant pressure in the 'chamber' - this is not shown in the usual freespace models. In this respect, a car has an advantage since it is easier to to bass pressure in the small cabin volume compared to a big room (like it takes less air to pump a bicycle tire than a car tire)

3) if you high pass at 40Hz then there is really no issue at all since you are well above fs - you can EQ to the desired response. you should of course look carefully at when you hit xmax but the 40Hz high pass helps here.

4) a Qts=1 driver has a hump in the FR just over fs so this is probably what you see in the model goping to higher Qts and you get a peak at fs. low Qts gives a soft roll off. Qts=0.5 is 6 dB down at fs. Again this is in free air and this can be different when driving the car cabin.

cheers, Lars

Thanks a ton for this Lars. I can't wait to try these drivers. (y)

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks a ton for this Lars. I can't wait to try these drivers. (y)
looking forward to learning about your experience.

The 180Hz suck out is probably around the first room mode of the cabin. It is around where the longest dimension is around half a wave length. If the listener is in the middle in a pressure null then SPL dips strongly around the mode frequency and will peak in other places. if you somehow can place the woofer along the pressure null then the mode is not excited. Alternatively placing woofers symmetrically in the two pressure peaks can help cancel the mode. perhaps a combo of door and trunk placements can do that trick. generally, distributing more woofers in the room tends to average out the modes

Continuing posting some Purifi design wins that emerged at High End 2022 Munich show here is the Violetta open baffle design by Kroma Atelier.

https://kromaatelier.com/violeta/

Cropping in on this photo originally posted to monoandstereo.com event coverage clearly shows a PTT6.5’s unique surround.

Interesting turned wood magnet covers. We will all have opinions of how such effect the sound, looks nice given the back of the drivers are left visible. The baffle is a manmade material they call “Krion”.

Throughout this threads presently 79 pages an FAQ asked/proposed about once every six pages is “what about Purifi drivers in open baffle applications?” Apparently Kroma Atelier likes them for open baffle mid-woofers. Not surprised they went with a pair of 12” for the woofers. In open baffle systems the old hot rodding truism applies “there’s no replacement for displacement”, or in this case square CMs of Sd.
Woofer is probably SB34NRX75-16, or at least some kind of SB34NRX....