F5 Headamp ?

And I strongly recommend you use a hot iron (420°C) with a very sharp tip.
And 0.35mm solder, preferably leaded or low melting temperature.
You definitely want to use lower temperature when you solder SMD PPS caps (not in F5-HA).

Thanks Patrick for the hints, just ordered a sharp tip and a 8x magnifying glass with light from TB, all cheap stuff but hopefully sufficient for the job.

Attachments

• Capture 1.PNG
    Capture 1.PNG
    79.6 KB · Views: 672
You know, I also bought a new LED magnifying lamp last year, even bigger than yours with long reach as well. Quite high end.
I ended up not using it much, because the lens and the LED take up too much space.
So while you have very nice image, your hands and more important your soldering iron cannot get to the PCB without the lamp being in the way.

In the end I bought another simple, small magnifying glass, and use this most of the time.
The LED lamp I then use only for inspection after soldering.

Patrick

Attachments

• Lumeno.jpg
    Lumeno.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 669
  • LUPE.jpg
    LUPE.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 663
Last edited:
For soldering, especially if you use solder with silver content, the quality of soldering iron and tip is MOST important.
We used to use Goot, but now we find Oki Metcal unbeatable.
The tip is always at the right temperature, allowing super fast and precise soldering, especially for 0603 and below.
You can get used stations and tips from TB for not much money, but you need to figure out which tips are compatible to which station, etc.

But try out your current ones first.
And get some thin solder (0.5mm is too thick), and thin solder wick.
Do not leave excessive solder on the board, as it prevents thermal relaxation between SMD & PCB.

Patrick

Before you order anything, please kindly take time to read the articles and understand the information put here, for you.
Only when you think that you are skilled enough to manage the project without babysitting should you join the GB.
This will help to avoid frustration for everyone involved.

As it should be obvious from the article and from the photos, one PCB is 2 channels, dual mono.
One set of boards includes main amp board, 3 types of cross feed, and 2 pairs of cap multipliers.
The main board is 160x220x2mm FR4.
The PCB set does not include ANY mechanical parts, FETs, or any other components.

The cost of 1 set of PCBs is 800 HKD for Version 2, all inclusive (Paypal fees, registered surface mail world wide).

Please update the list yourself according to your needs, including cancellations.
Andrew just explained how, better than I can.

We reserve the right to turn down any order request, as we see fit.
My apologies if we sound rude. We'd rather be honest.

Many thanks for your interest,
Patrick

Last edited:
I finished my poor man F5H. Will have the possibility to listen more in the next few days when I will finish the power supply.
First impression is good. The only thing is that the gain is very high. This is not a disadvantage if you use a dac like the odac.
81aff0bb402ae011dd083ec8886c6350.jpg
69a12c054ef011f46a42c0adc766fbc8.jpg
7ddc4db6235638febaa41a8903b5368a.jpg

On the SMS building topic this changed my life:
b8acfe949928254fc43c145449523e6f.jpg

I got it from a friend that use to go fly fishing. Beside SMS, my capabilities of doing tiny point to point things improved a lot.

D.