Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

:D:D:D "What He Said" - Simply amazing sound from a tiny 3" driver. I haven't even put anything in the horn yet and just plain got a great big smile as I shook my head in surprise. Any doubts I may have had about the wisdom of investing in some top notch drivers for these have been completely erased.

As in the picture, these are up against my favorite speakers - The Sunflowers - and though they fall short in comparison in the definition and sparkle at first listening, there is no doubt the Cornus could and will provide exceptionally good sound to all who attempt the build.

I am now at about $40 in this project and the Sunflowers ~ $450. It's a no-brainier for anyone wanting great sound at an unbelievable bargain.

I'll be stuffing and tweaking for the rest of the day. Thanks Xrk and Cal for the support and enthusiasm, 6L6 for pointing me to the thread in the first place.

IMO, the Cornus have a very high potential for serious development and a high level of enjoyment for all.:cool:

Attachments

• Cornu.jpg
    Cornu.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,180
Congratulations!! They look wonderful. I've seen a vision of what I'm in store for.

By the way, I brought up this design with my audio engineering teacher and he pointed out a problem with the design that could possibly be fixed with little trouble. He noted that the shallowness of the speaker is going to lead to a cancellation around 2k from the bounce off the rear wall. His hunch appears to be backed up by a couple of passages in the 6 moons review:

"When the Cornu CS was on display at the Triode Festival 2004, it was equipped with a plastic front horn. Daniel was not secretive at all to reveal that there is a frequency response dip below 2000Hz and that the front horn was meant to remedy the problem acoustically without electronic filtering....

...Said dip was clearly visible in all the measurements I made. Judging from the window of this depression, it could be explained by diffractions and internal cabinet radiation."
The solution, if there is one, might be to simply place a sound-absorbent deflector behind the driver. I might experiment with this.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Congratulations!! They look wonderful. I've seen a vision of what I'm in store for.

By the way, I brought up this design with my audio engineering teacher and he pointed out a problem with the design that could possibly be fixed with little trouble. He noted that the shallowness of the speaker is going to lead to a cancellation around 2k from the bounce off the rear wall. His hunch appears to be backed up by a couple of passages in the 6 moons review:

The solution, if there is one, might be to simply place a sound-absorbent deflector behind the driver. I might experiment with this.

This explains the nosecone placed behind driver in patent drawing. I made my left and right cornus slightly different: I have a sandwich of foam and plumbers' putty in the back of one. Maybe it will show up in a measurement?

Last edited:
Wait till you hang it on the wall! Even more amazing. I am glad this wrked out for you. So it looks like little Vifa works in a 24 inch x 3.5 in thick cabinet beautifully.

Like I said earlier, the cornu's reignited my interest in listening to music again. You hear cd's in a whole new way you never thought possible.

I'm really looking forward to the wall mounting. The Vifas are super and I have used at least one in all the projects I have done over the years.

In addition to the pad suggestion, I've been thinking about a way to insure all the throat dimensions are accurately at spec. Maybe a brace of some kind. I know mine are not totally uniform.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Almost a bushel left. PE just lost a stuffing customer. :)

As the mind wanders, can you imagine a 5.1 or 7.1 theater system with these. Might not even need the "1" :)

He, he, you are not gonna stop thinking about them, I can tell. :)
I never thought about HT but this is good from standpoint of not taking any floor space in your HT room. The micro 14 inchers may be sufficient for rear channels, the mini or full size for mains, center channel just standard sealed skinny box with single Vifa to fit under tv screen. Very cost effective.

He, he, you are not gonna stop thinking about them, I can tell. :)
I never thought about HT but this is good from standpoint of not taking any floor space in your HT room. The micro 14 inchers may be sufficient for rear channels, the mini or full size for mains, center channel just standard sealed skinny box with single Vifa to fit under tv screen. Very cost effective.

HT was the first thing I thought when I saw this thread. Think about how speakers are mounted on the walls in movie theaters.

For those who have long been bitten by the bug (specially bass reflex), as soon as I got the first driver in place I did that

"thump the cone - OOO! that's gonna be good" thing. :D

I did not get what I was looking for this morning - but boy was I wrong. ;) These enclosures are really different.

Last edited: