Giant Subwoofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A guy posting as "Badman" mentioned fan subwoofers in post #18, but I suspect that no one knew what he was speaking about. While I have heard of them, I never heard them reproduce sound myself, but everyone who has raves about them. They are expensive now because they are new, but when mass-produced, their price should come down.

Ascendant audio made the Avalanche subwoofer line using the XBL technology (a technology which results in linear BL motors) developed by Dan Wiggins of Adire. The Avalanche line of woofers is no longer made, and the newest line of drivers can be found here:

http://ascendantaudio.com/

I believe that you access the older line of drivers, but I don't know how at the moment.

Retsel

Here is the Ascendent Audio Alliance 18

http://ascendantaudio.com/allliance_page.html

I assume that this is the new version of what SteveCallas used.

An especially impressive and cost effective driver.

I wonder how this compares to the Hemp Audio 25", mentioned way way back.

There was also a sono tube design with 21"ers mentioned.

Then also, I wonder if there is any chance this Ascendent company might start to go above 18"?

Big is not necessarily better. A single big driver can create the bass in a more size efficient package, but whatever arrangement you use to mount the driver it had better be robust because the increased size/mass requires a substantial box/mounting scheme.

The best bass I can remember hearing was a Genesis tower of 8 inch drivers with 8 per side. This was part of their Genesis 200 speaker system.

The old Avalanche drivers used the patented Adire XBL technology, it is not clear to me that the newer drivers can achieve the same low distortion.

Retsel

Mostly I want to move lots of air, and have the lowest fs I can find. I'm interested in infra bass.

There was a sound reinforcement manufacturer in the late 70's and 80's that made a subwoofer that used a "paddle" and "low-mass, fast-reversing, DC motors". I never saw the inside of one, but "heard" the effect. It was just like a shockwave. I think they were used at a couple of "Day-on-the-Green" 's. Those were stadium shows in the california Bay Area. ...I can't remember the name ....it wasn't Turbosound. ........ ..... Was it ServoDrive?? Anyway, they would make a great infra-sub project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.